Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Finger tight is not good enough?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hurts to pull the wrench that hard with blue loktite isn't tight enough with all the vibration. It took at least 20k to drop off, but I used red this time.

Remember that mean guy Arnold fought in the Columbian jungle? I think his brother is here, but instead of collecting skulls he's trying to build an F-body one part at a time.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I torqued them to factory specs. However, this time I used a dab of blue Loctite. Did the other side also, just to be sure.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Today is 2 weeks of driving mine to work daily. Sure is nice not to have to fill the trans every day.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Today is 2 weeks of driving mine to work daily. Sure is nice not to have to fill the trans every day.
    Good deal.

I'm jealous. No driving the f-body here for at least 2 months yet, probably more like 3 months and possible four.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Yours is in a different class from mine. Rather than be better than factory, the prupose of mine is manifold: spare daily car for when I'm working on the main, learning experience, experimental.

But this has been a strange winter here. No snow at all below 6500 ft, and only a couple days of rain. About 40 degrees warmer than normal. I'm worried about the upcomming fire season. I had to circumvent a police blockade last year to get to a friend's house so I could help him flee the fire with some of his livestock and precious personal items.

United States
    Thanks
    I hate driving ANY vehicle in winter here. It isn't the cold or snow, it's the salt. The asphalt roads, even when dry, look like concrete they're so white with salt. On the freeway, which is concrete, every vehicle has a white cloud behind it. Salt dust everywhere. Don't get me started on that liquid crap they spray on bridges, underpasses, ramps and in some cases, the entire length of the road. Grrrrrrrrrrr....................Always have to wait for a t least 2 GOOD rain storms (like deluges) before even thinking about driving anything you want to keep nice (like the Aspen and summer daily driver Mustang). Put it this way, last week at work a customer came in with a 2010 Jeep Compass with major tire wear, clunking and poor handling. The front and rear suspension subframes (the ones that bolt on) were almost completely rusted away. I mean to the point where the control arms were barely hanging on, the sway bar wasn't hooked to anything except the remains of where the pivot bushings used to mount, the rear end was just as bad. Needless to say, it is now sitting behind the shop with the plates removed waiting for it's final ride on a rollback to the scrap yard. They drove it there but I didn't feel safe driving it across the parking lot. Eight years old and 73,000 miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUNK. We've seen as new as a 2014 Silverado with rust holes above the rear wheel openings already. We go through a minimum 100 feet of brake line a month, replace lower control arms because they rot in half,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Guess it keeps the shop busy. Salt,,,,,job security (LOL?)

Haven't done it yet but today I plan on getting back to the winter major detailing on the F, specifically the rear suspension. Been slacking lately!

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The biggest problem(if you want to call it that) with a real clean car it keeping it that way. I have a friend that won`t hardly drive his car because of that. For me I have to drive my car otherwise I don`t see the point in owning it. I try to be careful up to a point but he is too much.

United States
    Thanks
    Well, I won't drive the Aspen unless there's no chance of rain until I'm able to get back home with it. It hasn't been wet from either a hose or rain since 1996 (wet sanding the exception) and it'd be about impossible to get the underside truly clean every again if I drove through the rain with it. It bugs me to drive the Mustang in the rain too but, it is a daily driver (summer ONLY) so it doesn't bother me as much. That said, I usually use the shop vac set on blower to blow all the water off if I don't have to take it back out until the next day. I'm just a clean vehicle freak. Even the old Dakota, mainly winter only daily driver, I try to keep as clean as possible. May sound stupid but, even though I know it's going to get all messed up Monday morning driving to work in the slop that's on it's way, I couldn't stand it and went through the "Soft Touch" car wash over at Kwik-Trip Saturday morning and then later that day, went over the whole thing with Speed Shine and made all the windows spotless. Main thing was to get the salt off the underside (the wash has under carriage wash jets) but I couldn't stand looking at it being filthy white with salt, sitting in the garage. I've always been like that no matter what the vehicle or time of year and always find SOME way to clean it.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will hate to drive the Volare when it’s done , it’s so clean underneath from Johns work , the roads around here are dirt and rough , I bought to drive it though ... life is too short , I’m gonna have some good times .... don’t even get me started on the salt , we use A LOT of salt on the roads in Ontario , we have amazing roads in the winter for getting around , but I was thinking how much damage it does to everything , not just cars and trucks , i think they should stop using it altogether , make tire studs not only legal here but mandatory and just use sand