Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Stared into the luggage compartment of the "F" for half an hour trying to figure out a final plan to get it finished off. Didn't get very far. Guess my mind just wasn't in it today.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Stared into the luggage compartment of the "F" for half an hour trying to figure out a final plan to get it finished off. Didn't get very far. Guess my mind just wasn't in it today.
    One thing to consider is led tape under the lip, totally out of sight. I'm real happy I did this.

For you, you can tie it in with the trunk light (I have mine on a rocker switch).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5144

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a LED strip along the underside too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    This is what mine looked like when I bought it .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

United States
    Thanks
    That looks fantastic - nothing better than a clean install

United States
    Thanks
    I've thought about doing an LED strip or even go with electroluminescent tape under the lip of the opening and use the trunk light as the "switch".

This is what my trunk looks like now but I want to carpet the wheel wells, back side of the rear seat, under the deck, etc. and hopefully run across the hinge covers that are complete. Mine appear to have parts missing (broken off).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0004.jpg   DSCF0003.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I like the way you boxed the hinge structure. Is that a door panel you cut down?

United States
    Thanks
    You mean the plastic hinge covers??? Those are actual F-body hinge covers but the forward parts are missing, broken off. I believe they would continue forward all the way to the rear seat. You can see the jagged edge. I got them from Jim and even broken they are pretty much made from unobtanium. I THINK I might have possibly, maybe located a pair of intact ones so we'll see.

I'm not sure if my car would have had those originally or not. When I bought it in 1987, there was no carpet or anything except it did have the taillight cover. I'm only the 2nd owner but who knows what the 1st owner did or didn't do. I can't imagine he added the cover, the rest of the car was bone stock aside from a set of Keystone Klassics and Panther Pink instead of the red the car was built with (Sunrise Pkg). Have no idea how or why he change the red. Looked pretty good though. Me with the car shortly after buying it and putting the 1/4 louvers back on. They were in the trunk with clips broken off. No idea who that young, long haired guy is standing beside it, LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0023.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm trying a hairbrained but cheap way to not speed by accident all the time.
    My speedo reads 20 when going 25, 40 when going 50 etc.

So I photographed the speedo and spent the evening messing about with photoshop to scale a correction into it. Printed it out and taped it in there.

I have little hope that the tape will hold in the heat we get around here. But if it fails, maybe I'll work with a friend to make an acrylic insert. Not sure how I'd fasten that in without messing up the real dial face, but one step at a time...

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    You mean the plastic hinge covers??? Those are actual F-body hinge covers but the forward parts are missing, broken off. I believe they would continue forward all the way to the rear seat. You can see the jagged edge. I got them from Jim and even broken they are pretty much made from unobtanium. I THINK I might have possibly, maybe located a pair of intact ones so we'll see.
    If you find a set I will buy your old set -- no need to be perfect for me since I would upholster them anyway. Just shoot me an email or IM.