Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunny

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Sunny

A few days before Christmas 2015, a guy shared this one on Facebook advertised For Sale locally to me from a Demo Derby page. So I joined that group and made contact to go look within half an hour of it's posting. Of course it was horrible and the blue carpet and seats were black with mouse crap. But it had to be the last of it's kind sold and owned locally, so three hours later it was on my deck in my driveway. Despite the fact that I absolutely did not need another car of any kind.

Ever the optimist, and realizing it was a two owner car, I decided it would be my penance for all the local A57 cars I dismantled in the day. I could Save the last interesting one. By accident I then found the original owner who after just over a year traded it in the following winter for a new '80 D150 4x4.

Details are, It's an A42 A48 Aspen Sunrise with 318, console shift, and sure grip, AM/CB radio, fender signals, and pedal dress up. It was still in original paint.
    Condition was beyond poor. I did manage to get it to run but the carb was stuck solidly at idle. A smooth idle tho! She got punched pretty hard in the face. The rotten driver side rail was kinked in a few places, bent back 1.5" and down 0.8" Passenger rail was bowed and also rotten in the lower section. Front bumper was bent, driver fender kinked, door pancaked, quarter crunched before and after the wheel arch like it had skipped. Missed the arch, gas cap, and rear bumper entirely! Passenger sheetmetal problems were limited to the rear quarter. On the outside...
    Needed a small patch in the core support after which I then measured and converted from 22" radiator to 26" support. Three holes in the cowl and two below those in the firewall. Both toe boards, driver floor back to trans crossmember, driver rear floor corner, front and rear of both outer rocker panels, and outer rear wheelhouses, and trunk extensions, and lower quarters, and the rear quarter end caps and round over's to the tailpan, and, and, and,,,, and a nasty dent to hammer out of the tailpan. Turned out the only panel which needed a total replacement was the trunklid which was completely gone at all four corners underneath. Hooray! sigh....

So that's what I've been up to for over five of the past eight months now. On to some pics of where I started and from there I'll fill in with what I've done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151209_165613.jpg   20151208_163236.jpg   20151208_163208.jpg   20151211_115834.jpg   20151206_143817.jpg   20151210_151746sm.jpg   20151210_151813sm.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Here's a couple teasers of what's going on.

Car is now completely solid again. All solid steel. Rust GONE !!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-07-18 10.42.49.jpg   2016-08-08 17.33.30.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great you have yet another project.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by White Aspen R/T View Post
    Great you have yet another project.
    Exactly what I've been thinking ever since I jacked up the rear end on the trailer to discover the Sure-Grip and decided it was another one to Save. For sure...

I'm still shaking my head about the time and effort I've put into a Sunrise. These and Dusters were everywhere in the day. But now they only seem to exist on the internet.

So this is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-04-17 18.30.39.jpg   2016-08-11 19.11.37.jpg   2016-08-18 18.40.41.jpg   2016-08-18 18.41.37.jpg   2016-08-22 22.16.38.jpg   2016-08-24 14.55.46.jpg   2016-08-28 18.38.53.jpg   2016-08-31 16.29.48.png  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Those 30 days off helped alot.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

6. The Following User Says Thank You to White Aspen R/T For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (09-05-2016)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Always good to see a Sunrise saved! My car's a Sunrise but it's not really anymore I suppose.

I don't remember seeing al that many of them when they were newer. Wasn't the total production in 1979 somewhere around 6,000?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by White Aspen R/T View Post
    Those 30 days off helped alot.
    Actually it's been 5 weeks. But YES!!! Easily a quarter of my time has been August. And the increased productivity of stringing weeks of 8-10hr days together has been Spectacular for progress! Unfortunately that's all about to end and quickly get replaced with Overtime at the J.O.B. But with this level of completion I may still be into reassembly before winter.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Always good to see a Sunrise saved! My car's a Sunrise but it's not really anymore I suppose.

I don't remember seeing al that many of them when they were newer. Wasn't the total production in 1979 somewhere around 6,000?
    White book says nearly 35,000 shipped. Locally we are kind of a Mopar Hotbed. There was every variation of these running around here into the early 90's. And then the rust belt seemed to have gotten them all. To find this local car with both options on the package and V8 with Sure-Grip 25yrs later is a real Treat!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Man.......nice work Matt, you piss me off..... lol

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 80 Aspen RT View Post
    Man.......nice work Matt, you piss me off..... lol
    GET YOUR LAZY BUTT IN THE GARAGE MISTER !!!!!!!!!! Even if you're just drinking beer, sooner or later just looking at it should "piss you off" enough to get Busy!

I've really had to force myself on this one for months. I set my build estimate at 20hrs/ week. But it's probably been more like 10 or 12 mostly spent drinking beer in disbelief that I'm building a Sunrise Coupe. To me it was never a rare or desirable car because of my environment. I put the final nails in the coffins of all the big "F"-ing fish in this pond nearly 30 years ago and only kept one. My SC t-bar. So to me, this has all along been a penance for being the hammer on all those final nails. Nobody wants to pay for their mistakes. But I kept plugging away and getting half drunk over it. All the while crying in my beer that there were bigger fish to fry within eyesight. Now that it's actually a car again, albeit a disassembled shell of a car, I'm actually pretty stinkin Excited about it! You shouldn't have ANY of these mental blocks working on a Super Coupe Scott! It's not like you haven't spent half your life doing crap you didn't really, really want to do. I know this because you aren't on Welfare! Just get on it brother! You don't have to start out excited in any small way. I haven't here... but I will bet you a case of beer that when you do there will come a time when you are excited again! Excited about the Car! Excited about your Progress! Excited about the possibility of actually finishing it! And excited that you will soon actually enjoy the car despite all your misgivings about the work that once laid ahead of you!

That's where I am right now...!!!!! Finally reporting progress because I'm finally actually EXCITED about what I've spent the majority of my past Year forcing myself to work on.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 09-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Volare Magnet