Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Aspen off season projects

Started this in the "what did you do to your f today" but figured may as well bore everyone with a separate thread.

First project is to once and for all (hopefully) fix that darn rear seal area oil leak. Have had it apart probably 4 times in the past 3 years. Never leaks from "normal" city type driving, only after driving on the highway at 55-70 mph. Then it'l leave a nickle to quarter size spot on the ground.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,after removing the fan, shroud, belts and crank pulley, the front 4 pan bolts come out. Then underneath to drop the center link, take the converter shield off and then the pan slides out with no room to spare.

Found there's no oil on the backside of the seal retainer, the seal itself or on the flex plate or converter. Very little inside the bellhousing also. It appears the oil is leaking past the seal retainer bolts. The pan gasket doesn't quite cover the counterbores for the bolts and that's where the biggest evidence of oil was. The bolt holes are open to the crankase (not blind) and oil could come past the threads OR, it gets in between the retainer and block and then comes down the bolt bolt holes.

Waiting for the new parts to come from Mancini and then,,,,,,,,,,put it all back together. Won't know if it's good or not until next spring, or more likely sometime in May,,,,,,,,,or June
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00023.JPG   DSC00022.JPG   DSC00021.JPG   DSC00024.JPG   DSC00026.JPG   DSC00025.JPG  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member 76Beeper's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Rich, I know you will get it sorted out. Even a few guys on Moparts are also having issues with the rear seal retainer on their 440's.

United States
    Thanks
    If you search for 440 rear seal leaks, you'll come up with about a million results. It seems to be the design itself is the main problem. At least it's good to know I'm not the only one!

As mentioned, I'm 99% sure the leak isn't from the seal itself, but it's getting past the retainer somehow especially since it won't leak with lower rpm and speeds so it isn't a pressure caused leak. It can idle all day long and be bone dry. Take one run up the freeway and back for about 5 miles total and there will be oil on the converter shield and 5 minutes later,,,,,,,a spot on the ground.

Trying to decide if I should paint the pan Hemi Orange like the rest of the engine. It's a Milodon and is gold anodized except the anodizing is starting to fail. See pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00027.JPG  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Member 76Beeper's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Scuff her down and paint it to match the rest of that fine engine...

United States
    Thanks
    Exactly what is going to happen...................Well, once I have the paint to do it with

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    And people think I'm overkilling it when I goop the crap out of any bolts that could leak, or bathe them in threadlock. I hate doing things twice. The only leak I have is where a tiny bit of oil occasionally makes an appearance on the passenger block face of my 360. Seems that it's able to push out of the corner of where the intake meets head and block after several hours of interstate speed. Since that isn't often, I haven't torn the intake off again.
    Glad you started your own thread. Always good to chronicle our progress individually in addition to little stuff we mention in a catch all thread.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Until this time, it never even occured to me that I should put thread sealant on the retainer bolts. Got myself convinced that has to be where the oil was coming from. There was no evidence of an actual seal leak and couldn't see any clear evidence oil was getting between the retainer and block.

As they say though, time will tell!

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,if those darn parts were here from Mancini...............Most likely should be here before the weekend so it's all good.

United States
    Thanks
    Nice package waiting from Mancini when I got home this evening(!) If I wasn't so friggin' beat I'd be out in the garage right now. Been so busy at work the past few weeks and a lot of BIG jobs (auto technician btw) by the time I get home at 5pm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shot.

Did manage to get the pan wiped down with pre-paint solvent and shot a coat of rattle can primer on it and that's all my body would allow. I've got about 3/4 can of Hemi-Orange in the paint cabinet (a.k.a. old refrigerator) so it should be enough to do one pan.

Hope to have it back together this weekend. What's the rush, right? I've got at least 5 months of time yet, or if all does NOT go well weather wise, 6 months.

Aspen and Volare Member jermo17's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Tis the season for automotive work it started about 3 weeks ago for us the the several days before and after Thanksgiving we turned away about twice the work than what we what we had on the schedule just not enough technicians or hours in the day

United States
    Thanks
    It always busy at the shop I work at but the past few weeks have been unreal. We're about a week out on appt's except for small things like oil change, burned out light bulb, etc. What kind of makes a guy feel good is they will gladly wait to have us work on their vehicle. Absolutely the best place I've ever worked by a factor of at least 10!

Got to get the pan painted and then start the reassembly process. The plan is to get it back together this weekend and then decide what to tackle next.