Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My complaint is with the molded end caps. Maybe they fixed the problem later on, bought mine sometime around '03 or '04 I think it was. They never did fit very well and have been nothing but grief since. Like I mentioned though, they are much better than the totally shot originals they replaced. The roof rail seals are from Metro and they aren't too bad. Only "gripe" I have is the upper corner is too hard and doesn't compress like the rest of it does.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If they are the same ones I saw on ebay a while ago, i imagine you needed to mortgage the home to pay for them? LOL Btw, I wonder if the old w/s ends can be glued to the new repo weatherstrips?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:56 PM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I feel kind of embarrassed it took until now for me to see the missing link.

Aside from that, got everything cleaned and waxed along with some paint touch up on the lower control arm. On to the other side,,,,,,,,,,MUST eat first though. Otherwise I'm going to pass out from hunger, lol. THEN start on the other side.

Not sure why the razzin-frazsin camera wouldn't focus properly.
    Nice work

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    If they are the same ones I saw on ebay a while ago, i imagine you needed to mortgage the home to pay for them? LOL Btw, I wonder if the old w/s ends can be glued to the new repo weatherstrips?
    Probably were the same ones. Oddly enough, they cost within pennies of my monthly mortgage payment (includes property tax escrow also).

I had thought of using original ends but mine weren't in very good condition plus, they were long gone by the time I opened the box on the new ones. Must have tossed them out accidentally.

I was thinking of replacing the rear tires. There's 90+% of the tread left but the white letters, aren't (white). Best they get is yellowish brown. I've ground them down with 3M surface conditioning discs a couple times and the stay white for a few weeks and then go back to yellowish brown, even if they are cleaned with Bleach-White every time the car is out. They've been like that almost since day one. However,,,,,,,,,,,,that will now be put off until next year. Weatherstrips or tires, the weatherstrip won the battle, lol.

Thanks, 76! The right side is done now also, so next up, other end of the car.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:30 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    The NOS weatherstrips came yesterday. When I looked at them, they were different than the repops and for a minute I thought "what did i do, order the wrong ones?" Checked the parts catalog and the illustration looks like the ones I got. Have the drivers side on so far but now I'm confused.

The NOS ones end at the lower part of the door and meet up with the roof rail seals, which go almost to the bottom of the a-pillar/cowl. Makes more sense than the repops which put seal against seal up the front of the door. I have absolutely NO memory of what my originals looked like.

Now for the million dollar question. Is there supposed to be a cap or something at the top of the door that's separate? Just seems like something is missing and should be there. I see nothing in the parts catalog.

Anyone know? Any photo's of original? I do know the '76-'77 seals are different than the '78-'79 seals and I THINK the repops are actually '76-'77 versions.

On the upside, the door closes really nice now, on the first try, without slamming it shut(!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00064.jpg   DSC00062.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:43 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have my 80 originals out in the shed. Do you think they might help??
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    I just curious about the gaping hole. There's got to be something that goes there, I would think anyway. Does your '80 have a molded seal on the top front of the door? As I mentioned, the '79 parts catalog shows nothing in the illustration, no p/n for "parts not illustrated", etc.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just came in from my shed and man is it cold! -29 wind chill.

I have the "gaping" hole. But my trim piece has a it covered and attached to the lower door molding all one piece. You might have the wrong molding?

I should of taken a picture I guess. Sorry.
    Last edited by kent; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:33 PM.
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    Yes, it should be a seal there IIRC. I`ll see if i can find a part number.

United States
    Thanks
    I think you have the 76 77 NOS weatherstrips. Are they 3875580 and 3875581? If so, you need 3875579 and 3875578 end seals.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.