+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Quarter Panel Rot

Thanks

Default Rear Quarter Panel Rot

So I was bored today, and decided to cut the exhaust off my Aspen. When doing that I noticed a little rust at the rear drivers 1/4 panel. I started picking at it and...

The car was improperly stored in a barn for a year or two in North Carolina, and rats made a home in the trunk... so I'm guessing all thats from rat pee.

Whats the best way to get this repaired? Cut out what I can and weld in a piece?
    1978 Dodge Aspen SE Sedan "Dreamer"
    318 - A904
    My Blog - Standard Grade

Thanks

thats what mine looks like on my car. On the passenger side I welded in some pieces to fix it. I looks good, but I know it is off a little. Once i put the flares on I think it will look OK. I have quite a bit more to go on mine.

When I bought my car I thought it was only the one quarter and the passenger door. As i keep poking I find more. Floors and frame are good though as it was all undercoated at the dealer. And done pretty well too. Not many spots missed. Mine was stored in an unheated garage for twenty years.

Kevin

Thanks

I'll have to poke around to see if There is any more... although I'm afraid I'll find more...
    318 - A904
    My Blog - Standard Grade

Thanks

Thanks

!!!

Man thats to far. Does the Coupe Rear Quarter have the same basic shape as the Sedan. All I would really need is the bottom.
    318 - A904
    My Blog - Standard Grade

Thanks

Talking

Better look it over good. It's not from rat pee. Most likely it's from fertilizer that was used on a farm. That stuff gives off fumes that will rust a car from the chassis right down to it's skins.
    Check out our car club at http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com Also looking for a sponsor for our race car. Check us out at http://www.rockethub.com/projects/87...or-a-stock-car

Thanks

theres body filler there so its an old repair thats failed. you can see overspray on the leafspring from the repaint.
    check your wheelhouse and trunk drop/extension panel for rot in the adjoining areas. also check in front of the rear wheel opening where the fender panel meets the rocker.
    Both areas are pretty much a flat piece of sheet steel so if the repair doesnt get into the fiddely bits up higher on the wheel opening lip you have a relatively simple repair.

Thanks

The pictures attached is the rot I have, which is what Jim described. My trunk extensions on both sides are trash too. I was able to form some sheetmetal to come close on the passenger side extension and the lower quarter was relatively easy as it is straight like Jim said. I had to bend mine on a metal brake for the bottom crease and lip. My rust was a few inches below the panel crease in the middle and the contours of the fender lip. I do have some rust in the lip though, which I will try to weld small pieces in. Not looking for a concourse car. More of a cruiser that looks good. The inner door frame is going to be a little tough, but I will do that when I clear out the quarter above the rocker. I will probably overlap it from behind.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0641.JPG‎   IMG_0631.JPG‎   IMG_0664.JPG‎   IMG_0665.JPG‎  
    Last edited by 77RTNJ; 01-27-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F body deconstructor Jim View Post
    theres body filler there so its an old repair thats failed. you can see overspray on the leafspring from the repaint.
    check your wheelhouse and trunk drop/extension panel for rot in the adjoining areas. also check in front of the rear wheel opening where the fender panel meets the rocker.
    Both areas are pretty much a flat piece of sheet steel so if the repair doesnt get into the fiddely bits up higher on the wheel opening lip you have a relatively simple repair.
    You are right. I got to looking at it some more, and what was coming off didnt look like metal. I think thats the extent of the damage. Hopefully some sheet metal will fix it up.

Thanks!
    318 - A904
    My Blog - Standard Grade

+ Reply to Thread