United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I still have a rear spoiler for sale.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, I never realized the '77 and '79 deck lids were so much different as far as the inner structure goes, not even close to being the same. Learned something new today and that's always good.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

I still have a rear spoiler for sale.
    I have one that seems to be in good condition but if it doesn`t work out I will contact you. thanks

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77superpak View Post
    Ok, this is what I have. On the bottom side of the deck lid, there are 4 holes for the hardware. Each hole is 1 inch in diameter. The hole to the left of the vertical slot is 3 inches from the vertical edge and 5 inches from the top horizontal edge. The hole between the latch and horizontal slot is 22-1/2 inches from the vertical edge and 3-1/2 inches from the top horizontal edge. The other two holes are symetrical.
    I've had the chance to speak with a few guys and compare Superpak trunklids, and we've found that the inside hole dimension varies from 22" to 22-1/2". Often it will be off from one side to the other on the same lid. Guess that's what you get from an outside contractor who upfitted this package. So I'm just noting that you don't have to be perfect when doing this because they weren't generally even in the first place. The clips for the spoiler have plenty of adjustment so if the hole is somewhere close it should fit. But check your particular spoiler for the range of available "slop" before drilling. I do have one original decklid with an upper middle hole that's actually slotted. Apparently the hole was a little too far off the first time they drilled. Have FUN!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea. I got em drilled. Probably off a little but I`m not sweating it. Honestly I forgot that the holes were drilled later. I was thinking Chrysler had different deck lids for Super Pak cars. DUH!
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 08-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It does look like there is paint on the edges of the holes on most of them. They'd be all rusty around the clips and especially the plugs if they weren't drilled before going thru the paint department. So I think you're probably right about it getting done in house despite the up-fit being over at Motortown. Wouldn't have been hard to hand drill a few extra holes somewhere in the body shop before the shell went to paint. I've had zero success finding any Chrysler specific information on the process. The parts carry factory PN's, unlike the Magnum Force parts which the company allowed dealers to up-fit but would not certify with PN's. I can understand that too because that stuff is really sketchy quality of fitment. But Motortown was already out of business by then too. That was Jim Wanger's company and it was crushed by the fiasco surrounding the '77 Pontiac Can Am rear spoiler. Not unsurprising considering the Magnum spoilers I mentioned. (1) I've found that the assets were transferred to Evans Automotive. But not if the contracts were also transferred. It could well be that the reason there's paint in the hole's edges is because Chrysler took their whole H,N Superpak program in house for the rest of '77 rather than attempt dealing with another company. I have no idea. Sure wish somebody with better search skills than my own had more information on how and when all the change around happened. I mean, that's basically everything I know on the subject.

(1) I've been working on recreating the Magnum Force rear spoiler off and on for a couple years. Finally, rather than destroy the poor fitment originals I have started hacking up my equally poor copies trying to make something out of them that reflects the originals but actually fits a car. It's very difficult to put your own name on something knowing full well that it's junk and always has been. Everybody will blame you for it being junk because they were never aware that it always was and you just copied that mess. I don't visit the project often. It's gotten frustrating, time consuming, and expensive.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, the '79 parts catalog only lists one deck lid. It doesn't say "with spoiler" or "without spoiler". Now, that's the replacement parts which aren't necessarily they same as the assembly line parts. Maybe the line had 2 different p/n's or,,,,,,,,maybe not. The world may never know.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver