Thread: Question for FiTech EFI owners

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Question for FiTech EFI owners

You guys that have the FiTech system, how do you like it now that you've lived with it for a while? Any problems, concerns?

Reason I ask is, I'm still considering putting one on my car, soon as I feel comfortable spending the money. Probably will be a winter install. My carb works fine and maybe I look at the A/F ratio gauge too much but the A/F changes so much with the ambient temp, humidity and baro. Being a carburetor there's no way to make it ideal for all conditions, only a happy compromise so I'm constantly messing with it as the seasons change from spring to summer to fall. What works good in July at 90 degrees doesn't in October at 45 degrees for example.

Anyways, are they working good yet? Did you see any improvement in fuel economy? Any info is greatly appreciated. I know I won't get 20 mpg out of a 500 cubic inch BB but more than 9 or 10 would be nice
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member SixPakSC78's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Aspen79. I recently have put the 400 FI throttle body kit on my supercoupe, I also went with the command center off the mechanical pump which I'm not so sure id use again. Others had claimed the command center's can over heat and burn out the pump, which in turn will heat your fuel up and give you a stumble. Mine has not over heated on me at all. BUT I have noticed that it does get pretty warm under the engine bay where there is no air flow for it. I mounted mine right in the charcoal canister pocket of the engine bay, working on making heat shields and fabricating a funnel to grab air off the chin spoiler to cool her down. As for the throttle body, its an awesome easy system to install and everything is high quality, I have some stumble issues at the moment with mine but there is a lot of fine tuning which may be my case, also note that the ECU is mounted on backside bottom of the throttle body, I'm throwing in a 1/2 phenolic carb spacer to keep the intake heat off of it for safe measure. all in all, id still never go back to carb. I love the system and it fires up every time and runs smooth down the road, everyone's experience is different

United States
    Thanks
    My car always starts right up, almost like the starter doesn't even have time to engage hot or cold, with a carb but,,,,,. I figure EFI keeps the A/F ratio optimum at all speeds, loads and weather so why not go with it. Actually I'm kind of under-carbed, with the 750 vac. secondary Summit carb on 500 ci. engine.

I've been thinking of different ways to do the command module, either the FiTech one or the Edelbrock to keep it from engine comp. heat. There's only so much space to go around though. Really don't want to try and add a return line, pump wiring to the rear, etc. on a finished car. I was almost thinking the module would fit between the headlight area and splash shield inside the fender but not sure if the space is there. Thanks for the input!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought you were finished

Guess that means I need to come up with something to do

United States
    Thanks
    You know way too well, a car is never really finished.