Thread: 77 Aspen SE

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

77 Aspen SE

The clock doesn't work. Would like to remove it, have it repaired and then replace it.
    Has anyone done this and have some hints?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty easy to get to. Remove the dash bezel and then a couple/three screws and unplug the wires. Is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/77-78-Dodge-...x/372038828902
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 10-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

White Aspen R/T (10-29-2017)

Aspen and Volare Junior Member east13gene's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a '77 Volaré 2-door. I have rescued its clock. Your clock may be identical. Not sure I can describe the process in good detail but here goes. When the original clock stopped working, I bought a used one on ebay. Put that in and it was fine for a while, but it too stopped working. So I got working on the original clock. I managed to dissemble it without any damage. With the movement exposed, I saw where there are two plainly visible contacts and they showed a little corrosion. I guessed that was the problem so I cleaned them with an emory board and a spritz of electrical contact cleaner. Replaced the now-dead ebay clock with my original. It's been working okay ever since. I always put my battery on a trickle charger so the clock only operates when I take the car out for a show or service. Just recently I took the ebay clock apart to repeat what I learned on the original clock. In this case the corrosion seemed more severe but I went through the motions, and I am now waiting to try it out in the car. Actually for me I think the bigger problem was removing the cluster bezel, because to get to that, the dash pad and steering column cover have to come off too! Picture shows my bezel with the clock. Is your's the same?

http://east13.org/sp/im/714_0101.jpg

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Like east13 said, in the majority of cases the only thing wrong with the clock is the rewind contacts get dirty and corroded. Cleaning them up usually makes the clock work again.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver