Thread: Chrysler Production Data - Lost in Fire?

United States
    Thanks

Chrysler Production Data - Lost in Fire?

Curious what others may have heard, or what data they may have regarding F-Body production records. I have the Galen Govier Option Code Book that gives high level production numbers and the 1976 and 1977 Wards Automotive Yearbook that gives production and sales figures by a few option groups, but nothing that goes down to color and options.

This is available for earlier year cars, but Galen mentioned a fire sometime back that destroyed certain years of production records. Chrysler Historical mentioned the same thing.

Curious if anyone has any information on this, or any hopes of getting more detailed production data.

Thanks!

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't really have any numbers other than reading somewhere that '79 Aspen Sunrise (what my car is/was) production was something like 6,000 (I think).

I've heard the warehouse where Chrysler had their records stored burned down in the '80's(?) Kind of hazy on the details though.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I heard there was a fire then others say there wasn`t. Then I heard some files were tossed and others that people were free to take. I`m not really sure what the real story is or was. The Newark DE plant that made some of the volare aspens was closed down and demolished in 2009. I wonder what happen to all the records that was kept there.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:29 AM.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member east13gene's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1914-2000, edited by James T. Lenske, published by Krause Publications in year 2000, is a great source of a lot of data. But there was that fire that took out a lot of Mopar factology. Precise time frame unknown. I referred the post to Dave Zatz at allpar.com and he replied with the following info:

"Yes, it’s a well known event [the fire]. I don’t have much more info. We have production records that were very carefully pieced together on Allpar - US and Canadian production on separate pages. try https://www.allpar.com/cars/production/ - very thorough work went into those!

"No, there is nothing specific about colors and options in there. Just model level totals. Part of the problem is indeed the fire, part is that those numbers were confidential/proprietary to avoid competitors from learning - so they were never publicly released. Now of course they will tell you, but only where they know and it’s not a nuisance.

"Part of the issue is also that there was never a huge amount of organization in the records filing, I’ve been told by people who went into the office that you could find a 1932 annual report between blueprints for a Maxwell carburetor and sales records from 1981. They never had the personnel - the execs never cared. (To clarify: The guys who ran the office cared but never got the funding or space they needed.) Ralph Gilles has tried to preserve what he could.

"Remember they also disposed of many of their records under Daimler, and I believe before then as well; many were lost in the move [from Highland Park to Auburn Hills]; and many were stored under the Styling Dome and destroyed."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to east13gene For This Useful Post:

B5RR (2 Weeks Ago)

United States
    Thanks
    Good, interesting background. Thank you

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    So, allpar is also useless to our era? I looked at the link and saw nothing related to us. Everyone has heard about "the fire" but I've never seen any facts on that either. Just a bunch of similar stories. In the absense of evidence, it sure seems more like a convenient excuse. Like, gee, we're sorry. The records wing burned during plant decommissioning. It's just terrible that we didn't have to deal with all those records anymore.
    I used to have a friend inside Chrysler Historical long ago. But excepting a few items i asked about specifically, the information he was able to provide was no further detailed than what you can get from Galen's white books.
    Volare Magnet