Thread: Starter Motor

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Starter Motor

I have a '76 Aspen wagon with a 318/auto.

The previous owner installed an incorrect starter motor (which appears to be this). The back of the starter interferes with a brace that runs from the transmission bell housing to the engine block. He was able to jam it in and it worked for him, but it bent one of the studs and started tearing up the flywheel.

What is a good replacement? Rockauto suggests I use this, but it looks very similar to the previous one which doesn't fit.
    Are there any universal LA starters that you guys can recommend? Are there any starters off of later LA or Magnum engine cars that I could use?

Thanks!

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I never seen one that hit the brace. One thing is the brace can be removed if you want to go that route. I have headers on my car and both braces are removed. If you don`t want to remove the brace there is a shorter version of the stock starter. The longer starter may be a bit more heavy duty or a different reduction ratio. Also you can install a later model starter like out of a 318 dakota. It looks different but it fits and is much smaller then the original starter. It looks like this. https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...SABEgI_B_D_BwE
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 4 Days Ago at 01:45 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

taylorswiftttttt (18 Hours Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The permanent magnet starters on Magnum engines will bolt right up. Commonly called a mini-starter. Only modification you may need to make is to the battery cable at the starter. The mini-starter studs are slightly farther apart.

You'll have to look at the mini starter to pick the one you need because on some applications, the small wire plugs in vs. an eyelet over a stud.

That's the nice thing about Mopar's. For the most part, the same starter will fit all small and big block (except Hemi) along with all the Magnum engines and also the slant 6 from the first to the last.

Only thing I can think of is, the previous owner got hold of a heavy duty starter off a truck or something. I recommend going with a mini-starter. If nothing else, it's a whole bunch easier to install and weighs a heck of a lot less, which is nice for us "experienced" guys, lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 5 Days Ago at 08:48 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

United States
    Thanks
    I have the mini on my car. I didn`t have any issues with the battery cable after I removed the black plastic adapter. I checked rock auto on the stock starter for a volare and they show different part number for the 360 starter vs the six. The 360 may have used the longer one but I don`t know why any of them would hit the brace. Small blocks and the braces have been the same for years.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 4 Days Ago at 01:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If you don't want to eliminate the brace you could always pull it off and grind a little clearance where needed...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

United States
    Thanks
    Here you go. This guy seems to know a lot more about them then me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRuIHTWZHw0
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 4 Days Ago at 01:44 PM.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I think grabbing a starter off a dakota or durango in a junkyard is my best bet.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Before doing that, weigh the price of a new one vs what the yard charges for a used (and unknown condition) one.
    Remans are generally $80-$90 and brand new in the $110-$120 range, depending on where you look.

Reason I mention it is, just this past week at work we had an '03 Olds Alero that needed a new passenger outside power mirror. Used from the yard we go to for all our used stuff was $100. Brand new from GM was $110 so it pays to check first. LOL, we've actually found a few parts brand new from the dealer that were actually cheaper than used but that's very rare.
    Last edited by aspen79; 5 Hours Ago at 02:26 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver