United States
    Thanks
    glad you got it figured out

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

White Aspen R/T (2 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem turned out to be complicated.

When I was pulling the exhaust out to make room I was still thinking of just pulling the pan and such so I failed to disconnect the battery. I bumped the exhaust against the big lug on the starter. Seems that backfed through the wideband O2 sensor wire and blew up some stuff.

I replaced a blown fusible link. Still wasn't working right. While experimenting with checking voltages at various fuse locations I found that I had things powered on with the key off, and things not powered on in ACC and run. While I was sitting there wondering WTF I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out of the steering column.

Umm, pretty much the only correct amount of smoke from the steering column is zero smoke.

Next was to pull the battery again while I wait for an ignition switch swap.

Then the connector shell on the harness side for the ignition switch broke up, so I searched much of the state for a similar connector. Now I'm waiting for crimp terminals and an extraction tool to show up so I can rebuild that part of the harness.

Seems more and more like time for a Painless harness.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 1 Week Ago at 09:39 PM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    ugh, what an unfortunate series of events

United States
    Thanks
    There's a reason all the instructions start out with 'disconnect the negative battery lead'. You never know what you are going to get into that should have been unrelated to your task.

Once the shipping people finally get their crap together I'll get it back together.

United States
    Thanks
    Finally all the various parts arrived and time/daylight worked out to put everything back together. That was mainly electrical repair stuff that prevented me from starting and driving.

The transmission is much better now than it was before. That is certainly becuase I was forced to adjust the throttle kickdown linkage that has been wrong since forever. I now have the deep pan and extension with drain, so that will be nice for future projects.

Only problem is that shortly into the first test drive I got pulled over. Turns out I have backup lights in ALL driven gears rather than just R. When I tested, they were off in Park, on in Reverse, and off in Neutral, so I assumed everything was good. I really hate how that neutral/reverse switch works.

Slightly related is the ignition switches available these days are junk. I know I dumped a bunch of juice through it, but it was in pieces inside the column, hence the things powered in the off position and smoke. If this switch breaks apart like the last couple I think I'm just going to wire it for toggle switches and a pushbutton start.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 6 Days Ago at 10:39 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I would look for a NOS ignition switch. What year car is it? I had a extra NOS switch for a 76. I think the connector is different for 77 up but I`m not 100% without looking up the part numbers. Also the china made back up switches are junk too. 2932820 is the mopar number for that. I put a China b/u switch in my charger and the tip inside wore off in no time. I put in a NOS one and never had another problem.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 5 Days Ago at 12:50 PM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Finally all the various parts arrived and time/daylight worked out to put everything back together. That was mainly electrical repair stuff that prevented me from starting and driving.

The transmission is much better now than it was before. That is certainly becuase I was forced to adjust the throttle kickdown linkage that has been wrong since forever. I now have the deep pan and extension with drain, so that will be nice for future projects.

Only problem is that shortly into the first test drive I got pulled over. Turns out I have backup lights in ALL driven gears rather than just R. When I tested, they were off in Park, on in Reverse, and off in Neutral, so I assumed everything was good. I really hate how that neutral/reverse switch works.

Slightly related is the ignition switches available these days are junk. I know I dumped a bunch of juice through it, but it was in pieces inside the column, hence the things powered in the off position and smoke. If this switch breaks apart like the last couple I think I'm just going to wire it for toggle switches and a pushbutton start.
    Good deal getting all back together and getting the tranny & kickdown working better...too bad about getting pulled over & the reverse lights, hopefully no ticket was issued

United States
    Thanks
    Just a warning so no big. I was pretty surprised to see the lights since I knew I wasn't speeding or failing to signal or anything.

I should have put a new gasket on the original switch years ago. That replacement didn't do backup lights at all. This one does them too much. The original worked.