Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit a Curb...

Aspen and Volare Junior Member rockman0730's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Hit a Curb...

So the other night I pulled a mustang and hit a curb after fishtailing out of the driveway.... luckily it took the hit like a champ and after checking to make sure the radiator was still alright and everything else in immediate sight looked okay I backed it off the curb and back into the driveway it went to sit until I had a chance to look at it. the alignment isn't too much off, actually pretty good for the hit it took I'd say. I went to take the wheel off and noticed it sat back a little far, not too much though it was barely noticeable. I took the wheel off to check things out and it's obvious it's not perfect anymore. The end of the torsion bar is bent and there's a dent in the shock from hitting something. The control arm looked straight enough to me, but I wasn't able to get it up and get under it to inspect it as much as I would've liked to. What's the best way to disassemble and insect everything safely? Could I hammer the end of the torsion bar back and just go get an alignment done to just get it back right until I get a chance to replace the bushings and whatnot? I know it's pretty pitiful and I'm a little lacking in front suspension lol put a slightly built 360 and trans I put together, and put in a whole new rear end in about three weeks ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/69rcXWiUbujpzTzz1

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Torsion bar is junk. There could be more damage than you can see. More pics would be helpful.

United States
    Thanks
    What other pictures would be helpful? I'll go out and snap whatever is needed. Could just the mount be replaced or is that actually part of the torsion bar itself?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    K7289 in moog if you can find them https://www.carpartkings.com/moog-fr...kit-k7289.html

United States
    Thanks
    I added more pictures to the link with the spare back on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    That's what I've been looking at. I guess I'll need to take the control arm off to check it real good. Might just be able to adjust it back to the center

United States
    Thanks
    I would think it would take a lot to bend a torsion bar. The mounts would most likely go first. Odds are the lower arm has been tweaked at least some.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    To kink the shock you had to have shoved the lower control arm back to at least the limit of it's bushing on the K-member. Shocks only get kinked by hitting the K-member hole they're normally centered in. That would also explain the torsion bar being junked. You'll want to check the lca bushing and likely replace it along with the torsion bar. Did the sway bar rip loose of the control arm or break the center links to k-member? After something like this I'd also be concerned about the upper ball joint. Those have a tendency to go bad as it is, and with the whole lower unit being shock twisted on it, I would certainly inspect it with prejudice of wanting to replace it.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    http://www.jimsazparts.com/ would have good used parts.
    After looking at the pics again and without seeing it in person i would say. new shock, new lower control arm, new torsion bar (even if you can find the end mount the bar may be bent) new rim and tire, possible upper arm, possible sway bar and hangers and check front wheel bearings too.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 12-25-2017 at 11:06 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    The sway bar was still intact, the mounts looked good. I compared everything to the passenger side and the only noticeable differences were the shock and torsion bar mount. I'm in school for engineering and from what I understand about the manufacturing and processing of those types of components, you'd think with the way those torsion bars are designed to work it'd be pretty hard to bent those out of shape. Anyways, thanks for all the input so far on what to check, I'm planning to pull it apart either tonight or tomorrow and update on what I find.

United States
    Thanks
    From what I see the pics it looks like the rim hit the torsion bar end and pushed the lower arm back enough to dent the shock on the frame. Then sprung back some but I don`t think the bushing would move that far without bending the arm some at least. You may get away with just replacing the end on the torsion bar but for the cost of the end( if you can locate one) it may be better to get a complete used bar from JIM. Like you said you`ll find out more when you get it apart.