Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit a Curb...

Aspen and Volare Junior Member rockman0730's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I took it all apart and added some more pictures to the link. I'd guess the best way to check the control arm would be to compare it side-by-side to a new one, but it seems to look good to me. the bushings weren't square, I'm thinking maybe the bushings were so worn out they allowed everything to move? I'm not sure how to check the torsion bar either, but it looks fine, nothing obvious with it. The bushing in the middle feels good, it's not square with the bar but I think that how it's supposed to be, it even has the slots for adjustment. Anyone have any ideas about how I should check things? And what the best way to get the torsion bar end off?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/69rcXWiUbujpzTzz1

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I only remember there being two straight parts to the torsion bar with the curve between them.

If it is the original end it is riveted on, otherwise it's bolted. You have to drill the head off the rivet without cutting any torsion bar metal. Then you can drive it out. Or maybe not. I had to drill one of my rivets hollow so that it could give inward before it would release. Very hard to do without drilling any of the torsion bar metal.

Last I heard they weren't making the end bushing anymore so that could be a little hard to find.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

rockman0730 (12-31-2017)

United States
    Thanks
    I've ordered new ball joints and poly bushings for the control arms and paid an arm and a leg for an end bushing off ebay. Nothing looks bent, so I'm planning on taking some measurements of the lower arm in the car with the old bushings and then again with the new ones to see if the rubber was just trashed, and if that checks out then the torsion bar should line up if it's still straight.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I never could get your photo's to show up, just get a white screen that says Google.

That's one of the downsides to our cars, parts availability and the price when you do find the part. I've got a couple things on mine that I ended up paying a fortune for (compared to a similar part on an A, B, or E body) but if it's the only one you find in years of looking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,best to buy it and try not to think of the cost.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I replaced the lower control arm bushing, lower ball joint, and the torsion bar bushing. When putting it back together it was difficult getting the torsion bar to line up with the control arm. I got it together and noticed a gap at the adjusting end of the torsion bar between it and the mount on the k-frame it rests in. I took it off and buttoned up the rest of the control arm assembly. I took some measurements and compared it to the passenger side and it's sitting about and 1 inch further back at the ball joint than the other side, which I think would be the reason the torsion bar isn't able to line up flush on the other end. Next step is to get my hands on another control arm.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I may have a new one but I would have to check.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I may have a new one but I would have to check.
    If you do, how much? http://www.jimsazparts.com/ was suggested in a previous reply and he seems to have decent prices for used parts, I'll need to check in with him when I get a chance.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I checked and i only have the passenger side. Jim should have what you need.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman0730 View Post
    If you do, how much? http://www.jimsazparts.com/ was suggested in a previous reply and he seems to have decent prices for used parts, I'll need to check in with him when I get a chance.
    Yes, Jim has VERY decent prices on his parts and they will be exactly as described when they arrive. I can vouch for him 100%.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver