Thread: Can someone get a measurement for me

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks

Can someone get a measurement for me

Fellas, I need a simple measurement from inside fender to inside fender.

I put my fenders back on aligned with the doors and parallel and I have 57- 7/8" my hood measures 57-11/16" that only leaves me a 3/32 per side hood to fender gap,

Could someone give me a dimension off their car to see what it should be. Thanks. Pic for reference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180108_103048.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    In my car's case, it's 58 1/16" fender to fender.

Just a question, are your doors adjusted right? What I mean is, could they be a little too close at the front edge, or even just at the upper hinge? They may or may not seem to fit to the cowl decent. Mine has a bigger gap on the right than the left where the door/cowl gap but then again, my car's been wrecked twice (I did one of them ) Cars of the '70's weren't necessarily built with a high fit and finish quality, unfortunately.

I only mention these things because I spent literally hours during the build (which included reshaping the edge of the fenders and doors for the gaps) and on final assembly getting the doors, hood and fenders aligned as best they could be.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the measurement, im guessing its too tight, When I hung the doors, I gave a fat 1/4" gap from the cowl to the doors thinking it was getting too wide, I hung the fenders and aligned beautifully, but I can't accept a 3/8 gap should be right. I'm gonna drop the hood into position without hinges to see if it will work.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong with having narrow panel gaps, provided there's enough room for movement while driving so there's no contact.

I've got fairly wide gaps between the doors and cowl, way more than I'd like but it was the only way it all would fit together and work.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver