Thread: Clutch set design

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Clutch set design

I'm looking into replacing my entire clutch assembly and flywheel. I have two questions.

1) I've seen two different pressure plates, lever and diaphragm. Is one better than the other? Jegs has a Hays clutch assembly 91-3006 I was interested in.

2) There are two flywheels listed as well, 130 and 143 tooth. What is the easiest way to determine the tooth count?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I had problems with the diaphragm pressure plate sticking to the floor when depressed on a camaro I had years ago. I always liked the 3 lever borg and beck better back in the days. The diaphragm was easier on the leg though. I haven`t had a clutch car for a long time so there may be better choices now. 130 = 10.5 clutch 143 = 11 clutch Should be a 10.5 Which engine to you have 318 or 360? I`m assuming 318? Are you doing a performance or a stock replacement? Is the flywheel bad? It can be resurfaced. I`m pretty sure the mopar flywheel is still available but it is around $400 or so.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 12:33 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

77superpak (1 Week Ago)

United States
    Thanks
    The engine is a 318. I wanted more of a performance piece this time around. The reason I want a new flywheel is the one in the car was resurfaced 25 years ago. Jegs shows the flywheel available for $315.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Just make sure about what it takes to disengage the clutch ( pedal pressure). If its to high, you will start bending the linkage, and that's something you don't want. Plus the effort it takes to hold the pedal while at a stop. If your doing a upgrade, go with Center Force, you'll be happy you spent a little extra money in the long run.

United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to see how hard that hits the budget. I would like to go that route Keith.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think they've got the pedal sticking to the floor problem solved with the diaphragm clutches now days. If it were me, I'd use the diaphragm style. You can get more clamping force without needing legs like Arnold. A buddy of mine had a '70 Challenger RT/SE back in the early '80's with a Borg and Beck 3 lever style and it about tore your knee ligaments pressing the pedal. It certainly didn't slip (built 383) but the pedal effort was unbearable. He put a diaphragm clutch in eventually and said it made driving the car much more enjoyable.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver