Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turns out I was right to doubt that 7 1/4 rear end

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Turns out I was right to doubt that 7 1/4 rear end

I was out for a cruise and just now had the right rear wheel come 1 1/2 feet out the side of the car. Waiting for a flat hauler now but thats at least an hour off. what was a new bearing 10k ago is a real mess. I dont know what the splined end of that axle looks like but im sure its junk. i guess im in the market for a new rear end right away now instead of sometime...

United States
    Thanks
    Hm. Maybe it isnt ruined... I expected the splines on the inner end to be wiped out but they look ok. Seems the pressed on bearing and keeper ring just slipped off the axle. They feel ok inside the tube. Everything is full of metal as the axle splines seem to be a lot tougher than the inside of the tube. Pictures later...

United States
    Thanks
    The first three are as soon as I got stopped. The others after getting home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180506_201619.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	5232

Name:	20180506_201629.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	5233

Name:	20180506_201633.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	5234

Name:	20180506_223125.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	5235

Name:	20180506_223137.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	5236

Name:	20180506_223145.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	5237
    The part I thought was a wrecked bearing is just the non-essential shoulder on the axle. The whole bearing is still inside the tube. The splines are full of grit, but they seem good. I only need to find out if it is bent and maybe I can limp along for a while.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    The first three are as soon as I got stopped. The others after getting home.
    The part I thought was a wrecked bearing is just the non-essential shoulder on the axle. The whole bearing is still inside the tube. The splines are full of grit, but they seem good. I only need to find out if it is bent and maybe I can limp along for a while.
    Holy crap man ! Glad you got it stopped when you did !

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow! maybe c clips on the 8 1/4 isn`t such a bad idea. I have a 8 1/4 that I would practically give to you just to get it out of my garage but the distance would not make it cheap to ship. Jim would probably be your best bet cost wise. Btw, I have seen a axle come out like that before but mostly at the track when someone breaks a axle and on a c clip axle set up. Mostly chevy.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 05-07-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    WOW!!!!! Surprised the splines are that clean - it it would have come out a little more they probably would be toast. All in all, pretty lucky, go buy a loto ticket!

United States
    Thanks
    I figure I already used up all the luck on not crushing the unobtainium gas tank/ burning to death 100 feet down a cliff invisible from the road. No luck left for a lotto ticket.

I thought it was a blown internal seal in the trans as I was engine braking when it let go and it felt like going into neutral. When I got stopped and using Park didn't offer any resistance to rolling down the hill I figured the entire trans case was full of nothing more than metal shavings. Axle didn't occur to me until I got behind the car and saw that extra wheel sitting next to where I parked.

Up side is, I am about to take delivery of all the stuff to rebuild the rear suspension from Firm Feel, so I was going to have all that stuff apart anyway.

P.S. I believe it was basically in place for most of the rolling to a place where the guardrail was more than 1 inch past the white line, and only stuck out like that for the last 20 yards of a sharp right curve.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 05-07-2018 at 10:57 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Help!

So this just popped up... https://prescott.craigslist.org/pts/...578160340.html

If I'm doing my research right this is 1.09" too narrow at the flange, and .46" too narrow at the perches.
    I could do 5/8" spacers, but the perches would still not be right. I'm not sure if my welding skills are up to moving the perches. Is there another decent way to make up 1/4 inch on each side?

I'd still have to check if the bolt pattern is right at the wheels, but it's only a couple blocks away from me...

Thanks!

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Be a nice upgrade , I don’t know much about what 8.75 fits F body, but I know I had one in mine from a B body, not sure what year , & didn’t move the perches

United States
    Thanks
    Cool, thanks. It's pretty overkill for mine, but at this point I'm just abour ready to take anything that will fit.