Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Turns out I was right to doubt that 7 1/4 rear end

  1. #31
    Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    562
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
    I decided I better recondition the brake parts on the rear end. That went well enough. But I got a brake hose for a 63 B-body since that was the donor for the rear end and it is two inches too short. Looks like I have a candidate part picked out for a 70 valiant. I'm sure it won't be in stock, but it is long enough and has the right ends.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:49 AM.

  2. #32
    Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
    Any progress? What are you doing for a driveshaft?

  3. #33
    Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    562
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
    It's all back together. I'll need some wheel spacers about 5/8 ths. I have the driveshaft in the back of the other car ready to deliver to the local shop Monday morning. What angle should the shackles be with the wheels on the ground?

  4. #34
    Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    562
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
    She moves...

    edit:

    After 120 miles the rear end seems to be doing fine. But I haven't pushed too hard yet.

    The good: Even with the inch narrower rear end the HD springs and hardware have reduced wheel rub in the wells. The rear end is stiff and precise now and its inherent frequency matches the front end. It used to slowly slosh compared to the front. It's like a new car again. The 3.23 gears are a bit peppier than the 2.73. I haven't explored this much as it seems to have developed a lean condition after sitting for so long. The speedo is closer to correct now. 60 indicated is 65 GPS. It used to be 20 indicated was 25. It's probably close enough now to put a different speedo gear in and get it all the way right.

    The bad: The parking brake stuff doesn't match up at all so I'm working that out over the next few days. It seems the pumpkin is offset to the side different than the old one and now one side of the exhaust almost rubs the driveshaft. I had to undo the hanger for that side to get it on the road. The different final drive so far leaves me driving too slow because of the higher rpms at a given speed. I'll get over that in a few days.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 1 Week Ago at 02:54 AM.

  5. #35
    Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
    good job. glad you got it back on the road.

  6. #36
    Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Country:
    United States
    Posts
    562
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
    Thanks. This was one of the projects where I felt like I was really stretching my boundaries. A few scary or frustrating points, but all in all it went alright. And the car is SOOO much better. I expect I will even get a little bit better gas mileage in spite of the higher revs as I'm not having to mash the go pad to get away from a light like I used to.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •