Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Turns out I was right to doubt that 7 1/4 rear end

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I decided I better recondition the brake parts on the rear end. That went well enough. But I got a brake hose for a 63 B-body since that was the donor for the rear end and it is two inches too short. Looks like I have a candidate part picked out for a 70 valiant. I'm sure it won't be in stock, but it is long enough and has the right ends.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 06-09-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Any progress? What are you doing for a driveshaft?

United States
    Thanks
    It's all back together. I'll need some wheel spacers about 5/8 ths. I have the driveshaft in the back of the other car ready to deliver to the local shop Monday morning. What angle should the shackles be with the wheels on the ground?

United States
    Thanks
    She moves...

edit:

After 120 miles the rear end seems to be doing fine. But I haven't pushed too hard yet.

The good: Even with the inch narrower rear end the HD springs and hardware have reduced wheel rub in the wells. The rear end is stiff and precise now and its inherent frequency matches the front end. It used to slowly slosh compared to the front. It's like a new car again. The 3.23 gears are a bit peppier than the 2.73. I haven't explored this much as it seems to have developed a lean condition after sitting for so long. The speedo is closer to correct now. 60 indicated is 65 GPS. It used to be 20 indicated was 25. It's probably close enough now to put a different speedo gear in and get it all the way right.

The bad: The parking brake stuff doesn't match up at all so I'm working that out over the next few days. It seems the pumpkin is offset to the side different than the old one and now one side of the exhaust almost rubs the driveshaft. I had to undo the hanger for that side to get it on the road. The different final drive so far leaves me driving too slow because of the higher rpms at a given speed. I'll get over that in a few days.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 06-13-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    good job. glad you got it back on the road.

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. This was one of the projects where I felt like I was really stretching my boundaries. A few scary or frustrating points, but all in all it went alright. And the car is SOOO much better. I expect I will even get a little bit better gas mileage in spite of the higher revs as I'm not having to mash the go pad to get away from a light like I used to.

United States
    Thanks
    Follow up to this part of the project. Everything is great with the axle and with the suspension parts except one thing.

With the unknown provenance antique springs that were under it before the rear if the car leaned to one side. I always figured that was those springs that were clearly past their "use by" date. But with all the new parts under there it has the same lean.

What else could cause this, and what are the ways (best, right, pretty good and ghetto) to correct this?