Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    FWIW, I didn't have to take out my gear housing. But Oregon/Arizona car, so YMMV.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I was able to connect both ends of the new speedometer cable--on the transmission end, after removing the bolt & retainer, the cable came out with a slight pull--along with the pinion gear and (surprise!) about a quart of trans fluid. But no worries, I was able to clean everything up and reinstall the pinion and cable in one shot. Pretty sure I lined it all up correctly.

However, I'm getting some wild swings of the speedometer needle--is there any adjustment that can be made?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Was the cable lubed well and did it spin freely? There is no adjustment. Did it work ok before you changed the cable? Is the housing back in the same position?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-23-2018 at 03:13 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

SpeedBanana1977 (07-23-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas. I think the housing went back in correctly—the book said put the range corresponding to the # of teeth at the 6 o’clock position, which I did; the retainer lined up with the slots in the housing. I didn’t think to lube it but it was definitely spinning freely.

Actually, the gauge was doing the same sort of fluctuation before I disconnected the cruise cables—also hearing a noise that sounds like a bell coming from the dash—same as before. Could the needle end be bad? PO had it disconnected. I have a couple other instrument panels I could try. Thoughts?

United States
    Thanks
    Sounds as if the speedo head has issues. You could swap out the cluster or just switch the speedo head. The only other reason I would think is the cable was sticking but since it`s new and moving freely then you can rule that out.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-23-2018 at 06:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The bell sounds are the speedo drum rubbing on the magnet, which will also cause the needle to bounce and jump. The cable spins the magnet inside the drum (and they can't touch) and the drum is attached to the needle. The spinning magnet causes the drum to move. They call it an "eddy current" or some such thing. There isn't really any do it yourself fixing on them. It takes a speedo repair place with the equipment, parts and knowledge to repair it. I went through 4 different speedos, including an NOS one(which was about 20+ mph off) before I found one that worked correctly.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks; I’ll try the others I have; hopefully one will work!

United States
    Thanks
    FYI, over the last week, it seems that the speedometer is quieting down--it's also bouncing around a lot less. Maybe there was a twist in the cable that worked its way out or something.

United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Don`t know. You said it was lubed and spun freely. It wasn`t kinked when installed or have a real sharp bend in it?

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBanana1977 View Post
    FYI, over the last week, it seems that the speedometer is quieting down--it's also bouncing around a lot less. Maybe there was a twist in the cable that worked its way out or something.
    Mine stopped doing that after the exhaust completely burned through the speedometer cable. Which reminds me to go log into Rock Auto.