Thread: Slight fuel problem

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Slight fuel problem

In my '79 Volare I have a slant 6 with the 2 barrel carb. This is a re-manufactured unit that was on the car when I bought it. Prior to pulling the engine it was running smoothly. After the engine was completed, including new fuel pump, I hooked everything back up making no adjustments to the carb. Now if the car sits for a day or two it will not start, even with pumping the gas. If I squirt a small amount of starting fluid into the carb it will fire right up and stay running. I can even come back a short time later and it will start with no problem. When I pull back on the throttle while it's not running I don't hear or smell gas squirting down the carb. Any thoughts what this might be? Maybe accelerator pump?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sounds like a slight fuel leak. Fuel draining back to the tank maybe? Are all the connections tight Ron? How long after you shut her off before you tried hitting the throttle ? Just a thought. Good luck my friend.
    1980 roadrunner

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If the float bowl is draining, the accelerator pump won't have anything to squirt for startup. How long have you cranked before going to the starting fluid? I get a day or two where I can tap the gas three times and start. Longer than that and I have to crank for about 6-8 seconds and stop. Then three taps and it will start. At that level it doesn't bother me enough to figure out why the bowl is draining over longer periods.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If it was the accelerator pump not working, I would expect a big hesitation or even a stall on acceleration and hard starting even after a short soak period. I assume you are running the same fuel as before and it is fresh? If you've got winter blend in the tank and it contains ethanol, it will evaporate fairly quick in the hot 95 degree weather like we've been having. Modern gas is made for EFI where it's pressurized all the time and the temperature that it vaporizes at is fairly low compared with gas from 30 years ago. Creates all sorts of havoc on carb equipped vehicles, mostly in the hot weather.

The only variable, other than the fuel itself, that I see, is the new fuel pump. It may be allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. Normally, even with a dry fuel bowl, you'd be able to get it started after cranking a few seconds and then pumping the throttle a couple times. If the fuel line is dry all the way to the tank, it'll take quite awhile for the fuel to get sucked all the way back up and then pumped into the fuel bowl at cranking speed. Once it starts and the rpm is much, much higher, it'll pump the fuel a whole lot faster.

That's just a theory anyways.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ethanal gas strikes again.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    On my slant sixes, I have successfully used the “fuel line mod” described on slantsix.org and it seems to help. The stock fuel line wanders around the head/valve cover to the carb; by using a piece of fuel-injection quality hose, one can route the line directly over the valve cover. I think this keeps the gas a bit cooler and limits the evaporation so it’s easier to pull gas into the carb. Might be worth a try.

I had a similar problem because the choke was set for a cold day but it was 90+ outside. Lots of cranking and pumping but no go until I disconnected the choke altogether.