Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon deposit

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I finally found the culprit to my lacking engine performance. I drove my car to work last week. When I went out at lunch it wouldn't start. Even with squirting some starting fluid down the carb. I swapped out the ECM and nothing changed. I checked for spark for the coil wire and didn't see anything. I replaced the coil and it fired right up. It runs a lot better, starts right up without touching the gas, and I haven't seen anymore smoke out the tail pipe on acceleration. It must have been a weak coil causing staring problems and not burning the gas efficiently. Then I got to thinking. Everything was running fine prior to removing the engine and I didn't make any adjustments to the carb. When I put the engine back in I went with an Accel coil I had on the shelf, thinking it would be better. Guess not, the Napa coil that was in there was good enough.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Good deal! Sometime's you almost have to wait until it breaks to find out what's wrong, if that makes any sense.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, that makes sense. I was ready to start trying all sorts of other stuff that might have made the situation worse. I figured since it ran the coil was good. I'm glad the car died within walking distance of my house and I had spare parts.