Thread: Radiator flush

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks

Radiator flush

I checked my coolant and it wasnít measuring to needed temps and looked dirty. I drained the system and the overflow. I added the cleaner and started adding water but only about 1 1/2 gallons went into and no more would go in. I ran the car thinking that would draw it through but it hasnít. Any ideas on what iím doing wrong?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    the t stat needs to reach temp and open for the water to flow if that`s what your asking

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, I must not have had the car running long enough. When I do and it reaches temperature, the water level will lower?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. It should "burp" to use a technical term, when the thermostat opens. Run the engine at 1,500-2,000 rpm to shorten the time it takes. Be careful to not stand over the radiator, sometimes when the system burps, it burps out the filler.

Before the thermostat opens there's basically an air lock. If the air can't get out, the liquid can't go in.

When you say you drained the system, do you mean from the radiator drain only or also from the block drain plugs (or one plug if it's a S6). If you didn't drain the block, 1 1/2 gallons is about all it takes to fill it back up. The block holds quite a bit of coolant that won't drain from the radiator petcock. I'd guesstimate roughly half the capacity is in the block. It can only drain through the radiator as low as the passages to the water pump are in the block.

Depending on engine and radiator size, capacities range from about 12 qts up to 16 qts.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, with the V8s at least it helps to have the car pointing uphill or with the front wheels on ramps to help burp the system. Not necessary, but it helps.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Once flowing and filled, check again after it cools down and top off again as it may lower once the air works its way out.

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I drained it via the petcock, emptied the coolant overflow. Where are the location of the block plugs?