Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressed cardboard for upholstery question

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Compressed cardboard for upholstery question

I haven't searched a bunch yet but was wondering if anyone knows where to get the compressed cardboard material for interior panels. I'm part way into making templates for the luggage compartment panels using regular cardboard but obviously, that won't work as the actual panels. I thought someplace like Speedway Motors might have it, but they don't.

Once I get the pieces made, then I'll cover them with the carpeting. My idea so far is to use velcro to hold the panels in mostly with double sided tape where needed. That may change as the project gets further along.

I thought maybe 1/8" Luan plywood might work except I need the panels to be rigid yet flexible enough to get them into position.

Thanks for any ideas!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pretty sure you can get the 3/16 or 1/4" compressed cardboard stuff at home depot.

United States
    Thanks
    I never thought of that. Since our HD sucks the big one maybe I'll check Menards instead. I've been to our HD 3 times and all 3 times I ended up a few blocks away at Menards to get what I needed (because they stock NOTHING in Home Depot, and I dare you to find an employee to ask if they do have it) but you didn't want to hear me whine about it so,,,,,,,,,,,THANKS!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know exactly what you mean. In my local Depot the ONLY time you can`t find an employee is when you actually need one. Then they get upset when you help yourself. I got in a little trouble when I got tired of waiting and cut my own keys on their machine.

United States
    Thanks
    That's why I drive past Home Depot and go the 1/4 mile further to Menard's where they actually have most things in stock (and lots of them) and if you need help finding something or whatever, you can find an employee easily. HD's lot never seems to have many vehicles in it while Menard's is always at least half full (and it's gigantic lot) In HD's defense, you could put the whole store, including parking lot and all inside Menard's and still have a bunch of room left over but that's still no excuse for horrible, or no, customer service. I can't stand the self serve check outs at HD either. Can you tell I hate Home Depot? lol

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,no luck on the board. Closest I could find is hardboard (Masonite) which is too rigid for what I need. I know I can find the compressed cardboard, maybe only online, but it has to be available somewhere. I may see if the custom upholstery shop on the NW side where I got my front seats done has some he'd be willing to sell. I've got time, winter I think is going to be long since it seems to have started 2 months early this year.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wish we had a Menards around here. None even remotely close. Years ago Hechingers was one of my favorite big hardware stores but they got put under by Lowes and HD. HD and Lowes are the only two that are within 50 miles or so I`m stuck with them. At one time I liked Lowes better but they have went down hill. Now i go to HD more often. I actually like the fact HD is less busy. It makes for easier shopping.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:18 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've used the bathroom wall board that they have at the home improvement stores.

But since you brought it up, Menard's is the only store worth going to anymore. I think the lumber at Home Depot is driftwood aged. Holy crap! Ever sorted through a whole bunk just for half a dozen 2x6's? There's usually about four employees at a Lowe's, two up front at registers and the other two don't know anything about the department you want to purchase from. So glad we got a Menard's. But the location of ours makes it obvious why Home Depot can charge more. It's at the edge of town. Menard's is two miles, eight traffic lights, two horn blows, two emergency lane swaps, and one middle finger further into town. Still worth it.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    But as for the carpeted trunk panels. Stock ones are just carpet spray glued to the quarter panels and wheelhouses. You've already got the hinge covers. A 8x8 canopy barely fits between the rails as it is, so I'm leary of covering straight down from the trunk lips to them. Are you thinking of making a panel under the trunklid? I've considered the same thing. Not sure how I'll hold the lid open without a hinge block or notch at that point tho. The weight of the one piece rear spoiler is already all the hinge bars can hold up, and only then if there isn't a breeze. But we would like to put our dash plaques somewhere. The dash is just about full. They're from pass side to almost the steering column now after 3yrs. So it's time to clean it all off and make a board.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    United States
    Thanks
    JUST GOOGLE automotive upholstery supplies

United States
    Thanks
    We don't have a Lowe's, I think there's one about 30 miles south on the Interstate, down in Plover somewhere. No matter, I just go to Menard's or Ace, depending on what I need and how far I want to drive. Menard's is maybe 5 miles and Ace is about 7 miles but takes twice as long to get to. The Ace Hardware here is ginormous. The fastener section is 2 full aisles about 50 feet long and has every fastener, in every material you could ever want (well, 98% of what you would ever want anyways). Nice place, nice people working there.

I have the carpet panels that glue to the inside of the 1/4's but that doesn't really finish it off very well. There's still the wheel wells, back of the rear seat, under the rear deck, etc. I'm not making the side panels to go straight down from the rails, but farther into the 1/4 panel area. It's one of those design as you go, trial and error sort of things. I'll post pics when I get more cardboard patterns made and temporarily put in place.

I want to do a carpet panel for the underside of the deck lid. That one is going to be a little more tricky to do plus, I want to do it without drilling any mounting holes for screws or other fasteners. Heavy duty Velcro is the plan right now. My trunk springs hold the trunk open good. Even with the spoiler, the trunk stays open no problem. It'll open by itself once it's about 3/4 open. Still, the panel will need to be as light as possible.

I did find the compressed cardboard at the same place I got the carpet yardage and headliner material (foam backed cloth) from. They aren't shy with shipping costs but I've ordered from them at 3 or 4 times and no complaints. I'm going to need more carpet yardage anyways so, may as well do it all in one order and save a little shipping cost.
    https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...ctCode=cowl-dp

OK, enough talk. Now to get my behind out to the garage and get some actual work done!
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:36 PM.