+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Runner :: 1979 Plymouth Road Runner

The Drive-Thru Garage Feature is availible to Members only. No fees are required to become a member of this site.
  1. General Information
    Road Runner
    Plymouth
    Road Runner
    MV1 Spitfire Orange

I am the original owner of this car. Prior to buying it, I looked at several used cars, including a 1974 4-speed 400 Road Runner, and 1969 Charger R/T with a 440, but decided the cars I looked at were ragged-out and as I really liked the newer Road Runners and R/T's of the period, I would look into buying one.

By 1979, the 360 was Chrysler's biggest engine. This car was built to special order with E-58 360-4 engine as my local dealer in Toronto couldn't even tell me what a 1979 model looked like. The car was built in Hamtranck, MI in February 1978 with Canadian non-catalytic dual exhaust system.

In 1985 I brought a replacement car, a Plymouth Tusimo with the2.2L high-output engine and 5-speed manual transmission; and nearly sold the Road Runner for $2,000.00. Ironically the ignition keys were identical for both cars! The fellow that wanted the Raod Runner then still kicks himself for not buying it.

Over the years I drove and modified the Road Runner with simple modifications aimed at perforance improvements, such as cam and headers. The car was actually quite respectable for a street car and beat just about anyone that challenged me.

By 1993, I decided to put the car back to as close to factory specifications as possible. I had kept the original parts and replaced them at that time. This is how the car remains to this day.

Modifications

The car was delivered new in March 1979. These pictures were taken in Charlotte, where I now live in 2005. The car was restored by myself in 1993.

Bucket seats and console. Pictures to follow.

•  

The original AM/FM 8-track stereo in-dash unit has been replaced with a factory AM/FM cassette unit from the early 1980's. Pictures to follow.

•  

The 360-4 bbl engine is the original engine. Over the years modifications were made including headers and modified cam for performance. Original parts were retained and reinstalled in 1993. Although the Lean Burn system is operational, a "standard" Mopar Performance electronic ignition system has been added.

A727 automatic transmisson showing factory installed dual exhaust brackets.

Although the exhaust system is somewhat modified; it now features dual tips turned down behind rear axle and a cross-over pipe behind transmission as shown.

The rear brake drum picture shows the over axle factory rear sway bar.

Comments: 11 / Views: 3404
    Thanks

Good job on your garage.
    1977 Aspen R/T 318 4 speed..under construction. Please Donate to keep the site secure from hackers.

Thanks

Thanks for your positive comment, this exercise has inspired me to get a few more pictures as everything I have currently is now somewhat dated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner360 View Post
    Thanks for your positive comment, this exercise has inspired me to get a few more pictures as everything I have currently is now somewhat dated.
    Your picture of your car is on the right side of the forum image. At the top of the page that is. Remember at 40 posts it gets easier to.
    1977 Aspen R/T 318 4 speed..under construction. Please Donate to keep the site secure from hackers.

Thanks

Default Great Car!

Wow, your car is a beauty! Fantastic story from an original owner - great stuff!

Thanks

Default Spitfire Orange

Awesome car!! Spitfire is my favorite color on F bodies.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Your picture of your car is on the right side of the forum image. At the top of the page that is. Remember at 40 posts it gets easier to.
    I noticed that you used my car when you changed the header a few months ago. Thanks, I'm honored!

Thanks

I'm curious about what rearend came in your car? I have heard rumors of a dana 60 in the 79 roadrunner and r/t.

Thanks

Very nice ! Beutiful car!

Thanks

Man.....I'm not much of a orange fan but....................I LOVE THIS CAR!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast