Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo HEMI build

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That is nice they found the cause of the problems. Good for them. Have fun on the drive and enjoy that fine machine!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed
    2013 Dodge Dart
    2016 Dodge Dart

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Anytime something good happens, you know something bad is soon to follow...

I took it on a short run on the highway last night to verify the shake is gone, all was fine. Then some strange seemingly unrelated things started to occur. The engine started making a strange loud noise like a lifter was floating, the steering wheel had some notable play in it (it was rock solid with all the updates that were done). Then it got worse. When I was getting off the exit ramp everything shut down. With the hydroboost brakes the pedal went to the floor. Had to go past a car sitting at the red light on the gravel shoulder on his left into busy traffic..... People came to a stop jumped out real fast to help push to the shoulder - - could have been real bad. Since the key was dead and the digital dash was blank I had it towed on a flat bed to the house. Even though the key and dash were blank the horn and lights still worked.

Once it was home I checked all connections over and over again, could not find anything. Then after about the twentieth time trying the key the car fired on the first bump. Sounds like something electrical with the computer.

About gave myself a figgin' heart attack passing the car on the shoulder into busy traffic. Phewwwwww.........

Back to the shop Monday.
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 1 Week Ago at 11:11 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4b39fd4ce6fc4f04993d5dafc1810f00.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	4668

United States
    Thanks
    Wow it seems like it is a bad dream! Glad it came out okay and you were not hurt. In my world it seems like it is always something I have to do a redo or change. It may be a little age related or possibly stuff that isn't made in the U. S. anymore.
    2013 Dodge Dart
    2016 Dodge Dart

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow that sounds scary as hell! I hate when our Motorsport passion turns dangerous , takes the fun out in a hurry... glad no harm no foul !

United States
    Thanks
    Time to give up on the cars and get a horse.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The brakes don't do anything if the engine isn't running?

When I first got mine as "runs and drives fine" I was terrified to drive it for about 2 days as the brakes were poorly done all around, and the entire parking brake system was missing from the car. The four corners were easy to fix once parts came in. The parking brake was much more difficult. No parts available. But I won't daily roll on streets without two braking systems that work independantly.

United States
    Thanks
    With the HB brake system the pedal pops up and is a nice firm pedal when the car starts. When the power went out it went down to the floor. There was "some" brake but I had it all the way down, maybe one inch of pedal -- didn't feel like a lot coming off the highway.... Any you can't pump up a HB system like a brake booster.

Things like this are why I'm only doing the short run trips with the car - trying to shake things out. Since everything is custom bugs are to be expected unfortunately.

United States
    Thanks
    I know what you are saying about hydro-boost. My truck has it and if you lose the rotation of the engine you lose the brakes but also lose the power steering!
    2013 Dodge Dart
    2016 Dodge Dart

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hydro boost uses the p.s. pump for fluid pressure. I've worked on trucks at work with hydro boost where the pump went bad, or the hose blew out, etc, and besides having a HELL of a time turning the wheel to get in the shop (seems it always a 1 ton chassis, diesel, 4x4), you don't have much for brakes. If you could push the pedal hard enough you would but, most normal humans can't push with anywhere near that much.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver