Thread: Need a 3/8 supply line in my fuel tank sending unit

Aspen and Volare Junior Member mopar4ever's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Need a 3/8 supply line in my fuel tank sending unit

I have a 79 Volare with a 451-stroker motor in it. I find the car leaning out and loosing power on the top end of the drag strip. So I am changing the fuel supply line over to 3/8 from 5/16. The problem I am running into is finding a fuel tank sending unit with a 3/8 supply line, every one I am finding is 5/16. Is there another sending unit that will fit the tank or do I have to try to change the line out of my sending unit to make it 3/8?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    that's a bit of a predicament. May have to figure out a way to grind the 5/16 tube off and weld a 3/8" tube to it? I don't think there was ever a sending unit made for F bodies w a 3/8 line, even aftermarket. most running 3/8 line prob running fuel cell and racing units/ pumps/ lines. If you come up with something let us know as there are probably others wanting to run oem sending unit/tank and 3/8 line

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 76sassygrassVolare View Post
    that's a bit of a predicament. May have to figure out a way to grind the 5/16 tube off and weld a 3/8" tube to it? I don't think there was ever a sending unit made for F bodies w a 3/8 line, even aftermarket. most running 3/8 line prob running fuel cell and racing units/ pumps/ lines. If you come up with something let us know as there are probably others wanting to run oem sending unit/tank and 3/8 line
    X2
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Junior Member Mopar guy's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 81 Cordoba with a 502 stroker in it & had the same problem. I put a sump on my tank & ran 3/8 line up to the pump, I have a Carter high volume mechanical fuel pump. I blocked off the 5/16 line at the sending unit & removed the rest, the sending unit still functions properly. I have pictures in the gallery if you want to check it out. No problems & the car runs great.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mopar guy For This Useful Post:

76sassygrassVolare (04-05-2016), White Aspen R/T (04-05-2016)

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar guy View Post
    I have a 81 Cordoba with a 502 stroker in it & had the same problem. I put a sump on my tank & ran 3/8 line up to the pump, I have a Carter high volume mechanical fuel pump. I blocked off the 5/16 line at the sending unit & removed the rest, the sending unit still functions properly. I have pictures in the gallery if you want to check it out. No problems & the car runs great.
    Great tip! Thanks Mopar guy ! I was not sure what that was in the pic, thanks for clarifying makes perfect sense now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 76sassygrassVolare For This Useful Post:

mopar4ever (04-06-2016)

Aspen and Volare Junior Member mopar4ever's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I guess first I will try and replace the stock pick up tube with one I make out of 3/8 tube. If that does not work I guess I will have to do the Sump on the bottom of the tank.

Aspen and Volare Member Badvert65's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar4ever View Post
    Thanks, I guess first I will try and replace the stock pick up tube with one I make out of 3/8 tube. If that does not work I guess I will have to do the Sump on the bottom of the tank.
    It isn't as difficult as you might think. The hardest part is keeping the fuel level sender functional. I made a 1/2 inch pickup for a 65 Fury. I extended the tube farther towards the rear of the tank (for drag racing) and even found a screen to put on the end.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Badvert65 For This Useful Post:

mopar4ever (04-06-2016)