Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Poking away at the stainless welding for the exhaust. It's tough waiting for things to cool down.

The way things are planned out I can do all the stainless welding on the bench top. The hard parts under the car are all in mild steel.

United States
    Thanks
    I had a little spare time this evening so I pulled the EGR. There is indeed a bunch of gunk in the exhaust crossover. It's like cold tar roof patch. Last time I had the EGR off it was dry and open in there. I dug out as much as I could with a 1/4 inch stainless steel tube, but I couldn't reach very far with that.

I went to Tractor Supply and got a scrap of 3/16 stainless wire rope. I figure I'll fray the end and then chuck it in the drill and snake things out. Not the best solution, but I don't want to get into a top end rebuild just to put my new exhaust on, but if I can't get the choke working before then, I'll ruin my new CATs.

The cable worked well to clean things out. I could reach all the way through to the other head in both passages. I don't know yet if I got it cleaned out enough to help. Maybe it will be chilly in the morning so I can test the choke.

Also drove over the mountain and back after the work. Hit 133,000 miles.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 05-30-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe you caught it in time to get most out but when I worked for the dealership we always had to remove the intake to get everything out and the surface clean. We also had to chisel out the old, baked on crap so removing the intake was the only option.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with Mopars1. Pulling the intake isn`t that bad. When I was a kid I had to replace many leaking intake gaskets on my 340 due to poor intake alignment. I got pretty good at changing the gasket out in a couple of hours until I finally fixed the issue.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 05-30-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I remember cleaning the crossover out on various cars and sometimes, you'd swear they forgot to cast the passage that stuff is so solidified. I'm not talking only Mopar. Ford and GM, and AMC too, have the same problem.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Pulled the EGR again today after driving it last night and to work today. The EGR is cleaner and dry, and some of the passages are dry. And it ran a lot better today, although it wasn't as chilly out as I hoped for this test. I think I got lucky and can let it go until I put the new intake on. That project comes after the exhaust work...

Once I put the headers on I won't have the thermal valve in the right manifold. What happens to the exhaust crossover then? Always open and making a lot of heat in the intake?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You will get a little heat from the exhaust but not much. The heat riser valve closed to force the exhaust from the right side to the left side to heat the intake and would open only under very hard acceleration or when the bimetal spring got hot enough.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been running into the temp creeping up when I slow down for traffic and just moving slow. Seems the 15" fan just doesn't pull enough air through the radiator.
    At speed it runs at 185.

So I am installing a 26" radiator and its corresponding 18" Fan.
    Had to cut my core support and weld in the flanges for the wider unit. I will build my shroud out of sheet aluminum and finish the install once I complete a cam upgrade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190531_145320.jpg   20190601_122012.jpg  

United States
    Thanks
    What I did to the F today. Pulled the right door trim panel to find that friggin' rattle inside the door. Turns out it was the bellcrank on the latch for the inside lock. It's loose and rattles all over the place. It was an NOS latch assy so it's not like it's worn out. Only way I could figure to fix it is to put heavy grease on the pivots to cushion and dampen everything.

So far, seems to have worked. No more non-stop, annoying, rattle.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    What I did to the F today. Pulled the right door trim panel to find that friggin' rattle inside the door. Turns out it was the bellcrank on the latch for the inside lock. It's loose and rattles all over the place. It was an NOS latch assy so it's not like it's worn out. Only way I could figure to fix it is to put heavy grease on the pivots to cushion and dampen everything.

So far, seems to have worked. No more non-stop, annoying, rattle.