Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4282909192

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I remember those Ranger's and the fuel pumps. The plastic screw on retaining rings liked to disintegrate and crumble and then the pump would spring up out of the tank. Truck still ran but there was a strong raw fuel smell that is usually what brought them to the shop. Can't recall ever seeing the actual tank go bad though. On some, it was almost impossible to get the new ring on. The male flange on the tank ended up out of round. Ah, the "good" old days.....................
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    The top part of the plastic on the fuel pump on my 2006 ram was cracked horribly. I kept smelling gas and I wasn`t seeing any leakage. I dropped the tank and I couldn`t believe it. Job sucked by the way.

United States
    Thanks
    I've seen that on every make that has a plastic fuel pump module when they get older. Chevy uses metal and guess what? Same problem except they don't crack, they rust away. The pump sits in a pocket on top of the tank, which fills up with dirt, salt and water. After 4 or 5 years of that, it's perforated. At the very least there's a fuel odor and EVAP emissions leak code stored, at worst it's the fuel line nipples rotted through and it's spewing gas all over place. As an added bonus, the remains get stuck in the metal quick connect fittings on nylon lines that run from the pump to the main frame lines, so then you have to replace those as well. That leads to where the nylon lines connect to the steel fuel lines in front of the tank not coming apart because the fuel line is so rotted, and the line ends up breaking off when you so much as breath on it.................You know? Retiring is looking more and more appealing, lol! (He says going even further off topic, oops.)
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:58 AM.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is there any chance of just globbing that gas tank sealer exopy stuff around the steel to plastic fuel "lid"? My wife threw something into the bottom of her gas tank one time and I was able to sand the tank with some 40 grit and use "problem plastic" panel bond smooshed to the bottom and backed with the side of a gallon milk jug which was the same plastic. It held for a year under the weight or the fuel never going below half before it started showing wetness again and I had to buy a new tank. Maybe that would stay put on Top of a tank? Yes the tank is also deformed around the ring and the rubber gasket self stretched too.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The rubber fuel pump gaskets are pretty much one time use. They don't really stretch, they swell up from the fuel vapor by design.

That fuel tank epoxy stuff might work for a while, as long as the pump module isn't the type with the moveable reservoir/pump with springs that hold it tight against the bottom of the tank.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's all solid stuff inside. And the old guy won't really care either way if it runs again. The one he's been driving the past 2 years has bad power steering. I need to just have a back up truck at his disposal. I've already done a ton of work on both of these current ones. Even got him to spend real money on NEW repair parts, which shocked me completely. I do need to spend a minute or 3 on YouTube to figure out how to get it all apart now that it's out though.
    There's a funny thing. A friend has decided to become a YouTube influencer and started putting out videos where he films all 15 minutes it takes to do a job, and is getting good reviews from the younger crowd about them. So let me ask you guys ...
    Do you actually spend 15 minutes watching some Rando monologue as they do stuff? I don't and I don't think that makes me OLD either. I'm just like, OK you showed it, skip to the next step, yep, skip to the next step. FOR GOD SAKE MAN SKIP TO THE NEXT STEP! I don't waste my days listening to people talk their way thru anything. Condense it to the main points and show how they happen in five minutes for crying out loud. Does that make me Mean or something? I just want consice info.
    Odd random thought... Now that I think about it, one of the best things about my wife is that she doesn't prattle on either. I don't know What I'd do if I had to listen to her go on and on for 15 minutes about Anything!?
    Sigh... anyhow. Here I come YouTube, so I can see who has the quickest video on what I need to figure out...
    Volare Magnet