Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I got a smoke machine. I found only the leaks I expected to find, so that's a win. Both ends of the throttle shaft.

Is there any bad bandaid way to help that out besides replacing the carb and drilling/bushing the carb? Grease or an o-ring or something? I won't have this carb for a long time before I rebuild the induction, but I wouldn't mind if I never hit 16:1 AFR at traffic lights. Idles surprisingly well at 16:1. But if I'm floating along a 25 mph zone and it does that I get a deal of lean surge.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Drill the jets slightly bigger and set the float level a little higher without it flooding over at idle. Maybe 1/16" higher.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention a few days ago I rolled up 133,333.3 miles.

United States
    Thanks
    I'm still running the old exhaust...

Tonight one side pulled loose and wants to drag on the ground (fortunately very close to home so I could limp it). Looking at it, the hanger at the trans mount and the hanger just ahead of the rear axle are both large sheet metal screws into relatively thin sheet metal. Both pulled out so I assume the holes are ruined. This is far from a reasonable design.

What are other people doing to make their exhaust systems better than 3 year 30,000 mile? For the front one, I'm thinking I'll weld some ears on the current hanger so it wraps around the trans mount and then I can put a bolt through horizontally. I don't see what to do with the rear hanger yet.

United States
    Thanks
    I forgot to post. This happened a few days ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33333.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	6031

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty Cool catching the mileage!

You don't actually need the trans hanger unless you have the weight of a cat right there still. For the rear there's a hold in the frame rail for a large self tapping bolt and you might have to drill a hole in the body side pinion snubber for the center mount of one of these. I'm not certain, never looked it up in the book, but I think this is a 76 only part. They never stopped putting the hole in the rail to mount one, but all the later cars I've worked on had a cheaper design, which of course fails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-Han...oAAOSwJtdaR9K1

The funny, sad thing is, there is a driver side mirror mate to this part for dual exhaust. I got one off a '69 383 Satellite in the junkyard when I was a kid and have looked for another one for ages with no luck. So I'm not sure what the heck it may have supposed to been on. Maybe somebody else will see this and recognize it? The F-body driver side rear rail also has the corresponding hole to mount the outside end of that bracket. Duno why, with no dual exhaust on early F's, and not finding it among B parts as far as I've searched I'm really at a loss.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I keep having those self tappers come out. I feel like a rivnut would fail after a while with all the flexing, but I haven't used rivnuts a lot, so maybe I am wrong.

I have duals and the drivers side rear hanger is in there. The sorta P clip part from the right side is what fell off on the road. I'm heading out to see if I can find it when the lightning stops. Ulimately I expect I'll be making something like the hanger you posted on ebay.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got numerous rivnuts (threaded inserts) on my car and so far, no failures. Used a Marson tool and inserts. Sure beats self tapping bolts or where using a nut and bolt would be almost impossible or totally impossible. See no reason they wouldn't work to attach exhaust brackets.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I've used them a couple times, but just for trim level things. I was afraid all the flex from the engine movement would translate through and wear out the rivnuts. I'll try them out when I build the real exhaust that will have flex sections at the header adapters. I think for now I'll get back on the road with the sheet metal stuff. I already have to burn a bunch of time making the isolator bracket. I've walked the road where it dropped and I can't find anything.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    BUT BUT BUT...…..

Does anybody recognize that hanger and know what else it would fit? Can't be late B-body cuz those are two inches wider cars. But I've never been able to find another one like I had back in the day. I really Really REALLY WANT to use a proper pair of them again though on all my early cars!
    Volare Magnet