Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a lot of road grime on a galvanized part that should be Silver! Congratulations! That's proof of use! But you may want to replace your inner seal. I had one needing welded on Candy Corn this year. I grabbed one off the stack instead. Yeah, I'm lazy. I did throw the broken one in the Purple vat so it'd clean itself when I replaced it. But it's top on the stack to be welded at some later date now that it isn't making the rest dirty too. Still didn't help my squeal issue. I noticed I don't have any anti-squeal pads on my pads but I didn't have time to mess with that at the time. I Hate taking Cragars with their shank lugs and double washers to keep from bottoming out newer Chinese lug nuts on loose wheels, on and off and couldn't make yet another run into town for a set of pads just to get those out of the box at the time. So modulating the brakes to avoid embarrassment continued thru the rest of this season. The whole front end needs rebuilt anyhow. It'll be apart again before it gets run again. Which reminds me I need to get the summer wheels off and put upstairs for the winter... ugh... more crap to do before the snow.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The seals are about 30k old and looked like they should make it to the next bearing repack no problem. Everything looked great in there. Those three thin spots on the shield are just made to fail. But I like easy jobs like this. Much nicer than getting inside the trans several times to try to see why the sector isn't behaving after changing the shift shaft seal.

United States
    Thanks
    After some heat cycles that warped welded shield is rubbing again so I'll be headed out there to try again. Already today I found the passenger exhaust manifold to pipe joint to be a little loose. Sure is tough getting a wrench up in there to get it tight, but it's good now.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry not today but last Thursday.

Took her for her last road trip of the year to the gas station. Always fill her up before storage. She's asleep till spring. Whenever that may be.
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    Some more heat cycles and that rotor shield started rubbing again at higher speeds, I guess when the wind pushed on it.

Tired of screwing with it. I took it off.

Is there a source for these as a new part? I'd rather run with them, but I don't want to deplete the NOS supply or put on a used one.

Thanks.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe these will fit. ask to seller to make sure. https://www.ebay.com/itm/36245342851...MakeTrack=true
    Edit: Ok, i messaged Vans. He said he didn`t know. I told him the part numbers were 3880519 3880518 and I believe they fit some earlier years. I haven`t heard back from him yet. I `m interested in a pair and they look the same as my old ones.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Days Ago at 09:47 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    chaz, what side is broke on yours?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Check the clocking on the tabs with your pix. The 80+ used different calipers and brackets for the high mount style. Worst comes to worst you just trim the low side to clear your caliper.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Some vehicles don't have shields so, going without isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The shields are there mainly to keep brake heat from cooking the ball joints and boots, not to shield the rotor itself. Cars without shields almost always have a small shield just around the ball joint. My Dakota doesn't have shields, never did. Yeah I know, not having them when they're supposed to be there just isn't right!

I've looked at repop shields and they look darn close to the one's on an f-body. Whether they actually are the same, I can't say.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Those look right, thanks! I got a set coming. Assuming they are exact I can make a day of it getting these on and a proper bearing pack and dust seals etc.