Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine did the rear brake thing today. I didn't notice I was at the cross street I wanted until about 30 feet later than would have been nice. I didn't hit the pedal hard, just a bit suddenly so I could get into the left turn lane. Right rear locked and made all the nearby drivers think I was driving like a maniac even though I was going at least 10 under at the time. Great.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It surely makes other drivers look as most new cars don`t hardly ever lock their brakes and squeal the tire.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My '08 Mustang will lock the brakes no problem, usually when "a little kid runs out in the street" kind of stopping. No ABS. My '96 Dakota will lock the rears but only if you REALLY stop fast (disc/drum, no abs). Besides having better brakes, they also of course, have narrower tires which means,,,,,,,,,,the Aspen should be able to stop quicker, traction wise anyways. Yeah, it weighs more than either of the other two vehicles and doesn't have power brakes but even with those differences, it can't stop anywhere close to what even the Dakota can. Translation: it's dangerous.

My new pads should be here tomorrow and seeing the forecast I'll have plenty of spare time this week to put them in. Sunday is supposed to be dry so, test time!
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-01-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Gota run em hard and brake em hard once in a while to keep em in top shape. I'd bet there's a bit of glaze on the rotors and shoes from being a sensible driver. I was laughing while autocrossing my daily driver to some reasonably competitive times. Howling and screeching tires, WOT, and hard braking at the last second to flip it thru another chicane. Never got the antilock to engage but Man, the car runs a lot better now too.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Hate to say it but,,,,,,,,,,you are correct. The Aspen's rotors look like chrome plating. The new pads have a break in coating and that should deglaze the surface. I need to use the brakes harder once in a while I guess. I tend to downshift when slowing down so the brakes get used even easier. Out of curiosity, I looked at the maintenance log for my Dakota. Put front pads in at 81,761 miles and they're about 1/2 there yet at 169,831 miles. Now that I think of it, it has the same problem of not stopping worth a crap. Rotors need machined anyways (pulse) so may as well replace the pads while I'm at it. I better be careful with the "might as well", "while I'm at it" thing though. Last time that happened, I had a car torn down to a bare shell and it took over 10 years before it was back together, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    On the topic of brake use, I'm glad to hear there is a good reason for me to drive the way I do. Keeps them from glazing.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    88K to half worn? You really are easy on them! Being that easy on the brakes I'd worry about clogging a converter too. Or creating ring lands in the cylinder walls.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I never said my RIGHT foot wasn't heavy, lol! As easy as I normally am on the brake pedal, the throttle pedal is another story.

United States
    Thanks
    Put the new EBC brake pads in. Didn't take a pic but scuffed the rotor surfaces with an angle die grinder and Roloc surface conditioning disc to break the glaze.

Discovered something I have to do to the F next, and that is check the front end alignment. Both front tires are wearing on the inner edges and are scalloped. My guess is there's too much toe out. Could explain some of the twitchy feeling when going around curves, especially when first turning into them. The tires only have about 3,000 miles on them so there's definitely a problem. If it ever STOPS RAINING SOMEDAY, I'll get to bed in the pads, see if they made an improvement and hopefully take the car down to work and put it on the alignment machine. Note to self: While at the shop, balance the front tires too. Above 50 mph it's obvious there's an imbalance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00340.jpg   DSC00342.jpg  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Stacey/sandy (10-11-2019)

United States
    Thanks
    Well, I put the new EBC pads in last Saturday when it was cold and raining and then Sunday, took the car out to break them in. Something was not right. Got a chance to go out tonight and do some more stopping. It pulls to the right like a you know what. Hmmmmm,,,,,,,one of the new pads bad? Wait a minute, then I remembered, it's puled to the right when braking for a long, long time now but not real bad so, I got used to it and never made a mental note to look into it. With the new pads, it's a lot worse although it seems to stop better. The new pads, which have more friction, have made a small problem become much worse. You could darn near make a turn without touching the steering wheel. Not good.

Could be a bad hose on the left side (restricted one way), problem with a caliper (although both pistons went back no problem), or even something in the suspension. In other words, some serious diagnosis is in order. I'm going to bring the brake pressure gauges home from work and see if there's a pressure differential (they screw into the bleeder holes). If that's OK, guess it's time to dig deeper. The car isn't safe to drive as it is. Just as well, looks as if the season is about over anyways If it isn't one thing, it's another, lol.