Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    >I had a little spare time this evening so I pulled the EGR. There is indeed a bunch of gunk in the exhaust crossover. It's like cold tar roof patch. Last time I had the EGR off it was dry and open in there. I dug out as much as I could with a 1/4 inch stainless steel tube, but I couldn't reach very far with that.
    >
    >I went to Tractor Supply and got a scrap of 3/16 stainless wire rope. I figure I'll fray the end and then chuck it in the drill and snake things out. Not the best solution, but I don't want to get into a top end rebuild just to put my new exhaust on, but if I can't get the choke working before then, I'll ruin my new CATs.
    >
    >The cable worked well to clean things out. I could reach all the way through to the other head in both passages. I don't know yet if I got it cleaned out enough to help. Maybe it will be chilly in the morning so I can test the choke.
    >
    >Also drove over the mountain and back after the work. Hit 133,000 miles.

I'm still having this wet gunk in the crossover.

Does anyone think it's plausible for there to be a tiny coolant or oil leak into the crossover?
    Last edited by doublechaz; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:32 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There is no coolant passages anywhere near the crossover. I doubt any oil is splashing up into the passage as the exhaust would be pressurizing the crankcase if there was an intake gasket leak. Do you have exhaust manifolds or headers? If manifolds then the heat riser is probably not working to push hot exhaust through the intake. An engine with that many miles is putting more carbon into the exhaust and it is just mixing up into the intake where it will settle and stick to the colder metal. I always blocked off the cross overs so I would not get this problem.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    No I don`t think anything is leaking in there like oil or antifreeze. The manifold would have to be cracked for that to happen.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've yet to figure out why the cross over carbons up. It's like there's got to be oil getting into them from somewhere cuz sometimes it's gooey in there while others are crunchy because they've baked longer, and still others are solid full of hardened carbon. It's such a common problem but aside from the possibility of leaking valve cover gaskets I've never figured it out.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    I've yet to figure out why the cross over carbons up. It's like there's got to be oil getting into them from somewhere cuz sometimes it's gooey in there while others are crunchy because they've baked longer, and still others are solid full of hardened carbon. It's such a common problem but aside from the possibility of leaking valve cover gaskets I've never figured it out.
    It is all combustion gases. I don't know why the gooey stuff happens but I bet that is just the real hard, baked on crap before it turns to coal. Hell, look at the fuel we have and the fuel injection at the port, no where near the throttle body and the throttle plate and body gets the same crap as the crossover but in smaller quantities that needs to be cleaned off once a year.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    All that stuff is caused by the oil vaporizing and getting sucked into the PCV system. Then the heat makes it turn into that gooey and/or crusty stuff. Conventional oil vaporizes MUCH easier, and at a lower temp than synthetic so using conventional oil makes it worse. That's one reason of many that a good majority of newer engines require synthetic. I've seen the punishment for being cheap and NOT using the synthetic. It ends up in my bay at work, where the engine comes apart for repair (timing chains, camshafts, to clean the plugged PCV passages and orifices, etc, etc, etc). Just think of all the money the owner saved by using conventional oil the last 75,000 miles and then have to pay $2,000 for new timing chains (cost for Chevy Traverse 3.6L quoted), at 77,890 miles. Add in direct injection and/or turbocharging and anything but synthetic with a max 5,000 mile interval, might as well throw money in the fireplace.

Even on "our" engines, synthetic greatly reduces the crossover plugging up, among many other benefits. My '96 Dakota with 170,000 miles has had only synthetic since new and when I had the timing cover off to add a chain tensioner (the infamous chain rattle at idle), the engine was spotless inside. Not the slightest hint of even light varnish. OK, sorry for going off on a tangent. Class is dismissed
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    My cylinder heads and intake manifold have no passages for exhaust gases. Solid aluminum. Nothing to get clogged up.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    Condensed oil. I could believe that. I don't like the PCV system on mine. Plus I suspect more blow by than is good.

United States
    Thanks
    The last couple days I've been getting a scraping/ringing sound from the driver's side. It would come and go, but it would always be gone during braking.

First I figured it had to do with the rear brakes that never self adjust because of how I drive. Pulled both apart and manually adjusted them. Pedal is nicer, but I still had the noise.

When I looked at the front I found that there were cracks in the shield for the disc and it was rubbing on the disc. So I pulled it all apart and welded the cracks. All back together and all fixed.
    Here is where I started. All three thin bits are cracked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191104_201913.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	6138

Sounds like a real car again.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There has been hardly a mopar that I have taken apart that didn`t have at least one cracked shield. I welded one up the other day.