Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Changed the oil and filter tonight. Filled the radiator, washer bottle and brake master. Checked the steering and trans. Then went for a cruise. It's slow going, but it sure feels good the way the car is now vs. when I got it.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It always feels good to make some progress.

United States
    Thanks
    Updated my radar detector to the latest firmware.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Haven't done much of anything to the F lately, other than the usual tidying up after driving it each time. Since it's FINALLY not raining every other day anymore, been putting quite a few miles on it, relatively speaking anyways.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Cruising late last night I started hearing parts drop off. Everything major was still there of course. Dang driver's side sway bar link came apart again! This time it had red loktite on it and it still came apart. Once I get the new one in, anyone have an idea how to help it stay in place? I would cross drill the bolt and split pin it, but it's inside that bracket on the control arm.

United States
    Thanks
    I had that happen once also. Didn't hear it come off, just noticed one day when I was under the car for something else and "what the,,,,,,,,,,sway bar link is missing". No idea if it unscrewed it self or it broke. They were brand new so I doubt it broke. That was couple years ago and so far, so good on the new one. I didn't use any thread locker, just torqued to 50 ft lbs. but I look every so often, just to be sure. In fact, it's not a bad idea to go over all the fasteners at least once a year for peace of mind.
    You may want to go to the blue thread locker. It's stronger than the red but can still be removed with hand tools. Anything above the blue requires heat to release (like the green, yellow or pink stuff). No heat from a torch and you'd swear the fastener was welded in.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Not an F-body but it is a Mopar, N-body I believe so, I'll sneak this in where it shouldn't be. At long last, got the bed sides of the Dakota ready to paint. Tomorrow, shoot a coat of sealer and then the color (black). I think they'll turn out way better than when I did all the rust repair last summer and due to weather, time, equipment problems and other things beyond my control, I ran out of time and had to rush before it was too late weather wise to do paint work and before the first salting of the roads, since the Mustang never has and never will know what salt is. Thought I could live with the way the bed sides turned out last year but, I couldn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00311.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good from here! And no reason not to share it. We come together from F-bodies but every one of us have many more interests and things going on. It's actually great to see you keeping that original going and looking Good! I saw a 2nd gen Durango crew cab sitting on top of a scrap pile this weekend. Saw a whole bunch of things this weekend that I wished weren't at the end of their lives. So in preservation, a truck project is a welcome sight here sometimes too.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    To see a 2nd Gen Dakota around here is a VERY rare sight. Of those you do see, 90% shouldn't be on the road anymore they're so rotted away. The other 98% that were on the road are all long gone years ago already. Mine will hopefully make it another couple years but then it will either need frame repair or I'll draw the line and let it die with dignity. Hate to do that because the engine and drivetrain are like new yet, even at 170,000 miles. Engine burns 1/2 qt or less in 3,000 miles, always starts instantly and runs perfect, trans works great, and the interior is still darn good shape.
    Bedsides turned out fairly good. i knew they would be nowhere perfect (back to that time thing)but are 1000% better than before. To make it match the rest of the truck, I'll have to wet sand and buff it out yet, once the paint fully cures. Depending on the weather situation, I want to paint the roof and t-gate yet but we'll see. Neither of those need any bodywork, just sanding to a solid substrate and painted. Not complaining but it's weird how the t-gate has no rust. Lucky I guess!

The lower parts, below the body line, are POR-15 rubberized undercoating with spray can bedliner over that, which holds up much better than paint to all the sand and rocks kicked up by the tires in winter. Want to make sure the paint is well cured before applying masking tape to it. Then I can do the bottom parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00312.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    The sway bar endlink I ordered on the 30th finally came in. I used loktite 609 to put it in.