Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to call you some time during the week David. Still have the trans on my bench. Been saving it for something special and am thinking the Sport Wagon might be the one. Picked up a 2nd 500 recently. Think we talked about that. I figure on going a bit more conservative with 3.73's and might even step down to 3.54's. I have both gear pumpkins sitting here waiting. But I really need a refresher on what you're doing with the pressure in setting these 500's up. I'm still an overdrive virgin. But looking forward to learning more about making it work from you.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I may be busy a little bit of the time as I need to get a few things done as in filing taxes and selling my wifes car or at least getting it cleaned up and signs in the windows. I also need to sell my truck asap.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Four boxes packed and shipped to the same address. Three arrived. Fedex claims they couldn't find the address for the last one. Now they are promising Monday.

Anyway, the boxes contain head to bumper exhaust bits. It'll take me a while, but it should be nice...

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    On the F today, about all I accomplished was getting the new old gas cap sanded and prepped for primer and paint today. Now,,,,,,,,,if it ever warm the bleep up outside, I'll be in business. Can't paint in the garage with the cars in there and/or with the heat on (flammable vapors and open gas flames in the furnace are a bad combination) and it's too cold to do it outdoors yet.

Doublechaz, I had a package from UPS a couple years ago come from Ohio to UPS near Milwaukee (forget the actual city where the hub is), then here to the Wausau distribution center, then to Minneapolis, back once more to Wausau, then over to Detroit, back to Minneapolis, Wausau again, one more trip to Detroit before coming back to Wausau for the the 4th time and FINALLY to my front door. it was like WTF? I was checking the tracking info everyday and almost had to laugh and was going to call them when tracking showed "Out for Delivery". All the info on the package was correct so who who knows what was going on.
    Last edited by aspen79; 03-31-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I am expecting my Firm Feel Stage 3 steering gear Thursday afternoon so I thought I would get a head start on taking the old gear out. I have most of the fasteners undone but stopped because for some reason I cannot find my pitman arm removal tool. I either loaned it out and did not get it back or I put it somewhere wanting to hide it from myself. Whatever the end result was I could not find it. So I am stuck until I can locate it or borrow one. I have car shows and cruises starting Friday late afternoon and I sure wish I could get the car out for the first outing of the year instead of having to take my Challenger.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I usually just grab the pitman arm and pull it off by hand.

That's one thing I really hate. When you know you have a certain tool but can't find it to save your life or have the slightest idea of when you used it the last time and, what it was used on. I have a good idea. Go to the store and buy a new one. Ten seconds after getting home and walking into the garage, the other one will be right there in front of your face. Usually the way it works for me anyways...........................
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I agree 100% that is the way it always happens except sometimes it is years before I find what I was looking for.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    Are hookers not cool to get anymore? Mine came Monday and there is some buildup around the holes way proud of the flange and the flange is all thin and floppy. Seems pretty sloppy all round.

That's headers for those who haven't caught up to my late April Fools. But they really don't seem as high quality as I expected for that kind of money. And the gaskets look completely useless. Cardboard looking with no metal at all. People have better luck with the all copper ones, don't they?

United States
    Thanks
    First part of your post, LOL!

I've never been impressed with Hooker headers, to be honest. Even today, if you read the specs, they have such a flimsy, thin flange and the tubes seem awfully thin gauge as well. Good headers will have nice, thick flange that will seal without warping. In my cars previous life in the early '90's, I had Hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers and I never got them to NOT leak with normal gaskets. The flange was warped and all my attempts to straighten it only worked for a little while and it would warp again between the two center ports (big block). I tried various gaskets, although the choices were fewer back then. On those, I ended up using Ultra Copper RTV with no gaskets, bolting them on and leaving it cure for a week. That actually worked and I had a heck of a time getting them off when the time came.

The soft copper or aluminum ones work good, from what I've heard ad long as you buy the good ones and not the el cheapo deluxes. I've actually got graphite type gaskets on my headers now and along with the thick flange, they have NEVER leaked. (Schumacher Tri-Y with their gaskets).

United States
    Thanks
    The flanges are .295 thick. The thinnest I've ever heard of is .375. The tubes feel pretty thin as well. But the flanges! Oh, my. Take a look at these pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190402_205656.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	5875

Name:	20190402_205704.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	5876

Name:	20190402_205712.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	5877

Name:	20190402_205739.jpg 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	5878

I wonder what the return policy is. Not really the kind of parts I had in mind for $500. I did get the whole car for that, after all.
    Otherwise, I wonder what my options are for buying some decent flanges to weld on.

Am I right that the welds at the ports should *not* be .007 to .017 proud of the flange? I was thinking more like .00000 +- 0.