Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    TTI headers i have are the same way with the welds at the flange. Looks normal to me.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My TTI's are that way. I cannot measure the protrusion but they seem to be uniform. Mine do not leak. You may want to double gasket if you do decide to put them on. I have had to double gasket all my headers unti the TTI's
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    If you are worried about leaks then use Remflex gaskets. They won`t leak but the downside for me was they stuck to the head and they got torn when removing. Many years ago hooker was the header most people wanted. They kinda stayed the same while other headers like TTI made a better mousetrap. I know some get Doug`s headers which are a nice header and they get them from places like Autozone or Advance IIRC and get 20 percent off to knock the price down some. BTW, $500 seems high for a painted header unless they are a dark ceramic.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 04-03-2019 at 09:41 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (04-03-2019)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    They are just painted. That's the Jegs price. They were the headers I could find that fit even with PS, even with PB, even with A/C.

Given that proud welds are not abnormal, how wide should the flat around the port be to support good sealing? The flats seem kinda narrow. Being painted, it wouldn't be that hard to add some weld there and dress it back down.

The gaskets that came with look like grey cardboard so I was figuring on some top of the line replacements. I'll look at Remflex, thanks. Also, I've heard of copper ones: good, bad?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    As you've found, the proud welds are normal. They're done that way so there's far less chance of a gasket blowing out and improve sealing.

That was my beef with Hookers, the chintsy flanges and tissue paper tube wall thickness. As mentioned above, while other manufacturers improved their's with thicker flanges, heavier wall tubing and MUCH better fitment, Hooker seems to be stuck in 1971. You know, back in the days of the $79 headers that leaked from day one, hung down and scraped the ground on even the slightest bump, needed "clearancing" with a hammer and then rusted out with in a year or two. Some things in the good old days, weren't very good, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I would think with some good gaskets you will be fine.

United States
    Thanks
    Put the NOS HVAC control panel I got from Ebay in. Besides the nice white lettering, the new fan switch actually works correctly. My other one had to be wiggled to get high speed and, the vacuum switches leaked when in MAX A/C and defrost. Without running the engine I can't know if the new one is good but it should be.

Also pulled the console lid button out and took it apart to find out why it worked so bad. Most times I had to almost pound on the button to get the lid to unlatch. Took it apart, cleaned it and lubed with Aero-Kroil. Worked fine until I put the stainless sleeve back on. So,,,,,,took a fine round file and removed a small amount of material around the hole and it seems to work just fine now. For how long, I guess time will tell.

Old yellow lettering vs new white lettering. There's something so cool about brand new old parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00260.JPG  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I got to wonder why it didn`t have the chrome edges like the old one. Was it a different part number?

United States
    Thanks
    I made the chrome on the old one. It's Eastwood Liquid Chrome. Careful masking (very careful and tedious0, an airbrush and poof,,,,,,,,,,,all shiny. Decided to leave the new one as is. Seems I had a lot more ambition a few years ago, lol.

United States
    Thanks
    I never tried the liquid chrome. I have used the silver paint pens but it doesn`t really look like chrome.