Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha! Yeah. See blood on something... OK where am I leaking?

Tires can change their balance needs regularly if not in constant service or the car on stands. Even then there are irregularities in the rubber within most tires. Especially the cheesy M/S classic style radials we run. Wear leads to changing balance. My daily was hit by two deer this year and each time the tires became out of balance yet the animals weren't run over. The 2nd time was only a few months and about 6K miles from the first but the car came back with a vibration. At slow speed it would rock the steering wheel and highway speeds were truly annoying. Took it back and just like your car, my front tires were over 5 off on one side and nearly 3 on the other. You wouldn't think a properly inflated tire could slide on the bead, or change balance so radically otherwise but it's just the way of things. Those are modern compound long life tires too. Another thing you need to consider is that regardless of mileage, tire compounds have a lifespan engineered into them too. I'd be highly suspect of an eight year old tire. That's the accepted death date despite that many newer tires are dry rot cracking after only two years now. They come back from 24 month low miles leases with junk tires that have plenty of tread! What's more dangerous is what you can't see though. When they're actually tearing the rubber internally at the cords. That's how 60 mph blowouts happen, and I'm known to go much faster than that for hours on end to shows. I didn't believe the lifespan thing until a car I sold with ten year old tires had a front blow out a few months later. Tire looked perfect but separated at the cords going down the road blew out and ditched the guy. Thankfully the car wasn't damaged and he lived to tell the story. But it could have been much worse and the only reasonable explanation for what happened was the age of the tires.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I hate to say it but, my car has had a tire vibration from day one, I just never got around to rechecking the tire balance. I suspect the balancer I used was out of calibration or, I made a big error in the set up somehow. It was at an Audi dealer after all and maybe the machine only spoke German.

One of the tires was a total of 5.25 oz out of balance, the other around 3 oz off. WTF????????????????? I must have been having a bad day. Actually, every day at that Audi dealer was a bad day.......................That's why I GTFO almost 8 years ago!
    I will guarantee you the balancers do often get out of calibration from some of the techs that slam things around. Plus some are just way too old.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The balancer I used wasn't very old but,,,,,,,,,,thinking back, there were a couple of cave men working there who had the attitude of, it's not mine so why should I care so who knows. Worked there 5 years and the BEST thing Ive ever done in my life was GTFO of that hell hole. The indy shop I work at now has no cave men or knuckle draggers and we calibrate the machine every couple months, just to be sure so, it should be accurate despite it being as old as the shop (28 years).

My tires are 8 years old but also only have about 2,500 miles on them and except when being driven or in the lot at work every so often, it's indoors. Tire life depends on age, but also type of use, condition of roads (mostly smooth around here vs. pot holes and jarring bumps, etc) and most importantly the amount of direct sunlight. I'm not worried about them. The old 14" wheels and tires I would be very worried about. They look like new with 80% of the tread left and not a single crack or check but, I put them on in 1987. Use those? Nope. Why are they still sitting in the garage? That's the mystery

I do know tires can move on the rim. If you line a certain spot up with the valve stem and recheck a year later, it'll be in a different spot, especially on the drive wheels. I've also noticed many times, the weights aren't so much balancing the tire, they're balancing the wheel, especially with alloys. Spin the bare rim and you'd be surprised how far some are off. I've put tires on newer trucks with the 20" wheels and found 8 ounces or more of stick on weights in one spot. Put the new tire on and check balance before peeling the old weights off and,,,,,,,,,,,it's only an ounce or less off. That was when replacing the factory tires with the original balance weights on stock alloy rims. Quality wheels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT.
    Last edited by aspen79; 01-04-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver