Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F today?

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Matt. Do have two of the washers and nuts that you will sell me. My originals are long gone. Mike
    BTW, The u nut or j nut in the pic where the fender bolts must have changed in later years as my 77 had a fix threaded hole in that position. Kinda weird in that it is limited in the adjustment.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-10-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just had the opportunity to disassemble a 76 for the first time in seemingly forever. So few of those left today, and I could tell they'd tried really hard to maintain this one. So much was Excellent, and yet so much was just too far gone coming back out badly around old and clearly repeated repairs. I understood why they gave up and it came here. It was a little sad but still interesting to get reaquainted with the early example of F-body construction I cut my teeth on so long ago. I'll have to see if I have an unrusted early spring plate or at least took pix of that one to compare to this 79 piece. Can honestly say I didn't notice. But with the cowl and inner fender rot up under the lip I was just zipping the front clip off in a hurry. One thing I thought was really strange enough to remember was, when's the last time anybody went to remove fenders and they were still seam sealed to what remained of those inner fenders? I don't recall that often at all. They're usually loose from age, body flex, or not being resealed during recall replacement.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My 77 car has virtually no rust . Pretty much the only places I had any rust was under the seam sealer. No rust thru but over time I`m sure it would have. I did have seam sealer under the fenders. I would be hesitate to use it again for that reason. It seems to retain moisture for sure. I don`t remember the spring plate difference?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-11-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Pulled a wheel and dropped it off at the tire shop on the way to work. As little as I drive it, it really sucks to pick up a nail. Put it back after work and cruised around town for a while. Did NOT get pulled over.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You were driving too slow - drive a bit faster, you will get pulled over. Practice makes perfect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barney.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	6603

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Proud to say, I've never been pulled over in my life.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh no - you really said that!!!!

My days of being stupid on the street are behind me, but looking back we did some flat crazy stuff. Heading down to Fort Sam Houston we took the Oklahoma turnpike, honestly had the needle buried the entire way. Dumb, but what a great ride. And no ticket.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't say I never did anything to deserve getting pulled over, just lucky enough to never be caught doing it. When I think back to the STUPID things I did in the past, mainly when I was a teenager, I can't believe I was that dumb. Street racing, cruising down the freeway at speeds way over the (at that time) speed limit of 55 mph...................Like they say, "if I'd have known then what I know now, I never would have done those things".
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The "paint" on my F is far beyond the puny intellect of the local traffic cops. I get pulled over almost every time I drive it. Never cited for anything because I'm never doing anything that wrong. They just pull me over for things like "license plate lights too bright" or, "I saw a crack in your windshield" that mysteriously healed after they got me stopped and then they spend 30 to 40 minutes running me for wants and warrants because poor people are not allowed around here and the paint makes me look poor. Pretty much all the project cars around here have $20,000 paint on them plus what ever the car cost. Funny how they never apologize after they find out I'm an upstanding member of the business community around here. I only get pulled over about once every five years or so in my other cars that look normal even though they all have the Michigan mod on the gas pedal. </rant>

United States
    Thanks
    I got pulled over three times in one night some years ago. I had a headlight go out on the way home around 2 in the morning. The first cop gave me a inspection ticket. The second stopped me and said he would call ahead so I wouldn`t get stopped again. That didn`t work to well as a third cop tried to pull me over and I just waved the ticket out the window and he then drove off.