Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volare weight reduction

Aspen and Volare Junior Member
    Canada
    Thanks
    There is a large wavy inner brace that is super heavy in the door. If you cut it out completely you loose all your crash protection and the door twists up like a twisler.You can hole cut 4" holes in it and that will lighten it up. But you will have to remove the outer door skins to do it.
    I have pulled out interior under padding, There is a lot of it and removed stock hood for fiberglass. I find it hard to lighten these cars because they have so much inner bracing. bumper impact absorbers & brackets, power steering switch to manual. all help

United States
    Thanks
    You can get the door braces out if you take them apart in sections with a cut of wheel. Drill out the spot welds on the end and wear some welding gloves to protect against cuts while yanking on them. Attempting to get them out in one piece will twist your door up, but yes, it compromises your street crash protection. Frankly, most attempt at lightening will compromise some aspect of street safety.

Undercoating removal, a messy and time consuming effort, also nets results.

Aspen and Volare Member Badvert65's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If it is a street driven car, you need to decide what items you can do without. I don't feel the need for power brakes and so I got to dump about 10 lbs there. Power steering to manual steering can easily net over 50 lbs savings but with a greater sacrifice. Switching to the newer 'mini' starter will also net about 10 lbs savings. My wagon had a premium sound deadening package with extra insulation under the carpet. I haven't weighed that, but it could be an easy 20 pound or so reduction with removal. Air conditioning weight is mostly in the compressor (not much under dash weight savings).
    Aluminum intake and/or heads can give huge savings. Once you get past all that, the savings are mostly small, but they do add up. Extra bracing, nuts & bolts, and such. Also look for things like the metal panel on the front inner fender, the one that gives access to the top of the front shock. Some are steel, some are aluminum. If you have the steel ones, find the aluminum ones. Again, small gains but they add up.
    Also, don't be afraid of using a hole saw. The transmission cross member on my 65 belvedere weighed 6 pounds and after cutting some holes, it weighed 3 pounds.
    One last thing to consider is clean the dirt and grease off of everything you can. Dirt is completely unnecessary weight.
    Last edited by Badvert65; 07-19-2016 at 06:53 PM.