Thread: Lug Nut Torque

itsclockwork

Lug Nut Torque

Well, this isn't how I wanted my first post to go, but I recently moved and my car manual hasn't turned up just yet. Maybe it's a good thing cause it's the extra push got me to join the forum.

Anyone have a digital copy or can at least tell me how many lbs of torque to put on the lug nuts? My car's a 1977 Volaré. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animated gif - monkeys stealing.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	2989

United States
    Thanks
    I have a 77 service manual set for sale in the parts section. If you plan on doing a lot of work they are good to have. I can check tomorrow on the specs. For some reason I think it was 85 ft lbs but don`t hold me to it until I can check for sure.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-08-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member F body deconstructor Jim's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    85ft/lbs is correct for steel wheels. Not sure if its the same for aluminum wheels.
    jimsazparts.com

itsclockwork
    Thanks Jim; that's just what I was looking for. And 77rr2x4s, nice guess.

I do have aluminum wheels. I did some research. I think my best move is to go with that torque even thought they're aluminum. The conclusion that seems most promising to me is that the torque is more about the pressure the fastener should have. So it's tight without stripping it. I think the aluminum wheel can take the pressure. Thanks, again.

United States
    Thanks
    I have Torque Thrust wheels on my car and I have them at the manufacturer torque spec.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If you have taper seat lug nuts, 85 is for steel or aluminum. If you've got shouldered with washers usually best to go with the manufactures recommendation as 77 said but 85 should be fine either way.

You're right that it has more to do with the studs than the type of wheel, similar to any other bolt or fastener. In any case having them torqued evenly is almost more important than the actual torque value. Ever get "warped" rotors? Majority of the time the root cause is uneven torque in the wrong pattern, even though it won't show up for a few thousand miles. OK, class dismissed
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver