Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Topped non-concourse Restoration.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

My 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Topped non-concourse Restoration.

I will start this thread with a little back history of my 77 Aspen's life unfortunately with no pictures at this time. I am not complaining but I have been dealing with a lot of pain from my lower back that no one seems to know what to do with at this time. I had surgery last February and it didn't help at all and at this time everything is worse than it was before the surgery but here goes.

In September of 1976 I owned a 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 with some goodies and it ran in the high 12 second range in the 1/4 mile. I loved the car but I was getting tired of it and decided it was time for something else. I had a decent job working as a technician at an independent repair shop in town so I decided to see what was coming out for the 1977 model year. I decided to go to the local Dodge dealer and got some brochures. I studied the brochures and fell in love with the nice pictures of the Aspen R/T's. I knew the twin sons of the dealerships vice-president so I went in to talk with him. Basically he told me if I ordered an Aspen Coupe with a V-8 and paid sticker price for the coupe I could have any options I wanted on the car for their cost. I ordered a pretty optioned out coupe with an E58, T-tops, cruise control, automatic etc.

Fast forward to December 1976. The car never came in. The dealership finally got Chrysler Corporation to check on the problem they were having. The answer was the E58 engine would not pass emissions and if I wanted the car I would have to reorder the car with an E57 engine which I did. The car was built in January 1977 and sent to Cars and Concepts for the T-Top installation. The car came in and I drove it off the showroom floor on April 1, 1977. Also on May 2, 1977 I went to work for the dealership I had ordered the car from and stayed long enough to retire from the same dealership at the end of 2007. I drove the car for 17 years and had two minor accidents with it one being my drunken fault and one that was basically a pileup on the interstate that I had nothing to do with causing but I ended up involved in it.

On May 6, 1980 at around 9 pm my Son decided it might be time to be born. His Mother thought it was false labor. As I had no previous experience in all of this I called her mother to see if there was a way to really know if the labor was false or not. She said if she couldn't stand the pain that it was not false labor. I told her to send her youngest son up to the house to watch My Son's half-sister. When he got there we left. By this time it was 9:40 pm. We got to the hospital at 10:00 pm and my Son was born at 10:20 pm. Did I mention the hospital was 45 miles away from my house? I didn't think so. The old Aspen was humming right along the interstate at well over 100 mph. My Son realistically was almost born in that car!

After 17 years as a daily driver I was getting tired of the car and decided to sell it. I sold the car to a kid that had worked in the cleanup department during high school and then went into the Marines. He had the car for a couple of years but he really was a Chevy guy at heart and he sold the car. After the car being gone for over 18 years for some reason I started thinking about the car. I started tracking it down and fortunately for me the car was still close to town. The guy didn't want to sell the car but after finding out I had ordered the car and purchased it new he decided to sell it to me for the same price I had sold it for. This was on October 10, 2012. The car was basically in the same condition as when I sold it with the exception of hail damage and some rust issues.

Hopefully more to come.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mopars1 For This Useful Post:

80 Aspen RT (10-09-2015), kent (10-08-2015), White Aspen R/T (10-07-2015)

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 360-Roadrunner's Avatar
    Indiana, but if you see the green light ....I am right here
    United States
    Thanks
    I would love to see some time line resto pictures.....

United States
    Thanks
    Sorry I can't seem to get any pictures to load no matter what I do. I have tried resizing the pictures and it still won't load at this time.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    I uploaded all the pictures I have to Photobucket over several days as my back and time would allow me. Unfortunately I know there are pictures that were lost when I upgraded to Windows 10 so they are lost forever. I will download some pictures in another reply to this thread to show the timeline and progress but it is going to be hard because the pictures are not in order and I am going to have to be careful when I go to get the correct pictures for the correct path of time as it happened as it has been over two years since the car was taken apart.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopars1 For This Useful Post:

White Aspen R/T (10-13-2015)

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    I uploaded all the pictures I have to Photobucket over several days as my back and time would allow me. Unfortunately I know there are pictures that were lost when I upgraded to Windows 10 so they are lost forever. I will download some pictures in another reply to this thread to show the timeline and progress but it is going to be hard because the pictures are not in order and I am going to have to be careful when I go to get the correct pictures for the correct path of time as it happened as it has been over two years since the car was taken apart.
    Thanks, just post the links from photobucket. Or open up the picture and right click copy and then paste it in the post.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

United States
    Thanks
    Will do Eric when I can. At this time I am trying to find a good back surgeon lol!
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks

First attempt to post some pictures from Photobucket

2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Paste the img tag. Click on it and it will say copied.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Time to get a drink! And settle in.
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    Time to get a drink! And settle in.
    Believe my Kent I am.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to White Aspen R/T For This Useful Post:

dodcarl (03-25-2016)