Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Sunny

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a really nice cover for the Aspen but only really used it during the build to protect the finished paint while working on other parts. The Mustang came with a high dollar cover in the trunk but, I've never used it. When either car isn't being driven, they're indoors. The Aspen is always parked in a climate controlled garage and the Mustang sits next to it in winter storage so, covers aren't really needed. Plus, putting a cover on and taking it off a lot only increases the chance of putting fine scratches in the paint which sort of defeats the purpose of a cover (protecting the paint) That's all JMO though.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any trouble with my indoor covers other than dust getting thru sometimes. Then I have to hang them on the wall and sweep them real good to get the dust out of the cover that didn't get thru. That was a headache too til I figured out a piece of 2x4 in one hand holds it fast while I can sweep another section several inches wide. Maintaining the cover and giving the car a quick clean is still much better than having no cover indoors. Just really disappointed with my outdoor cover. Maybe if I had popped for the really high dollar type it would be different.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member mopar1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    I don't have any trouble with my indoor covers other than dust getting thru sometimes. Then I have to hang them on the wall and sweep them real good to get the dust out of the cover that didn't get thru. That was a headache too til I figured out a piece of 2x4 in one hand holds it fast while I can sweep another section several inches wide. Maintaining the cover and giving the car a quick clean is still much better than having no cover indoors. Just really disappointed with my outdoor cover. Maybe if I had popped for the really high dollar type it would be different.
    That's disappointing! I never trust covers.

United States
    Thanks
    What really makes me cringe is when I see a car, on an open trailer, going down the highway with a cover. BAD idea!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very Bad! Yes.
    A friend of mine freshly painted his car(72 Black Roadrunner) Went out west to work for the winter(Alberta oil patch)
    His dad & mom thought they were doing him a favor. Not a car cover but a tarp. Back in the 80's right? Man what a mess. Rope burns and all. Ruined.
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    A tarp is worse than just leaving a car exposed to the weather. Besides the paint damage from the tarp rubbing, moisture will collect underneath and NEVER evaporate. I've witnessed the results way too many times. To make it worse is to park on a non-paved surface along with a plastic tarp. The results are not good as the car basically disintigrates from rust. Even with no covering, parking on grass, dirt or gravel is a death sentence for a car, at least in this part of the country. The underside pretty much vanishes into thin air after a couple years.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 06:52 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    She was only covered for 6 weeks. But like I said the damage was done.
    I store mine in a unheated wooden building (shed) with a wooden floor. Full tank of fuel and a bunch of fleecy sheets for the mice. Nice and dry. Seems to be doing great so far. 35 years and counting.
    1980 roadrunner