Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunny

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Found some more of my pix from the first day when I got it onto my trailer to bring home, and late winter or so when I blasted the forward section inside the garage and did the rails. I guess I should count the front driver side rail as another complete panel that's been replaced along with the trunklid. They both came from a car built earlier the same week, so they're date code correct parts at least. Yes, I'm crazy like that.

The lower section of the passenger rail was stubbed in from a car WAAAY outside any production windows, with 1/8" steel internal fish plates and solidly welded after yanking the top portion into proper position. I determined that I was able to do this thanks to a solid upper rail. That and the determination of hammering and kicking it until it was close enough to draw it into where it needed to be! Both rails were treated and then filled with POR15. So I'm never going to mess with that mess again either!

Same with all the lower portions and even the internal roof structure of the car that were solid but had scale rust. I took advantage of the rust to make something of this car that's better than coating it with paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160124_191604.jpg   20160125_174403.jpg   2016-01-22 18.32.27.jpg   2016-01-17 20.55.21.jpg   2016-01-24 19.20.10.jpg   2015-12-06 16.21.55.jpg   2015-12-06 16.23.36.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Daaang......you told me!!!!.......LOL

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK, now that you've seen it, I edited it! So get out there! I've been waiting to read your progress reports or at least get pix msg's forever!!!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol....no need to edit the truth!!

I'm getting the inspired feeling....lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 80 Aspen RT For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-27-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but you know I wear my heart on my sleeve.

If it worked tho... AWESOME !!!!! How many beers have you accomplished so far? Lol! It's 5:30 here so I'm on my third!

I gota get out there and shoot some more primer. Where's my pix from You?!!!?

I've long blocked the driver side quarter again for the 3rd day in a row and I think I'm to where I should have one more blocking with 150 and it'll be ready to step down for paint prep blocking. I should have just slathered it in Bondo like FOOSE and been done with it in the first blocking. Instead I'm using $250/gal. Chroma Base Urethane high build primer to get all the small imperfections and shallow waves out of the formerly caved in panel. I don't even want to talk about all the hours I beat on that thing off dolly. I even had to torch heat and shrink several areas to get it to conform to being an Aspen again. But aside from a few areas that are showing like orange peel after blocking now, it's ready to move along.

C'mon Buddy! If you just force yourself to do the ugly stuff. sooner or later it'll get exciting !!!!!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and now that it's 90 freakin degrees again here I'm really looking forward to more Blasting! I've taken the doors off to get their lower frames because of the way I did this car. Thinking I'd just do a little now and leave the rest for later has led to more headaches than anything. Trying to make progress. I don't know how long I've got in blasting. Blast it and realize it's just good enough for welding. Then blast it some more so it's good enough to prime... over n over...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone else ever noticed that driver doors are significantly straighter from front to rear than passenger side? It freaked me out. I don't think I've ever sat a pair of doors across the sawhorses together before. Since my driver door had been pancaked, I was sure I messed up remaking it without the strong bowed outward center when comparing them directly. So I checked my others. Sure enough. If you're really looking for it, every passenger door has a much stronger degree of bow to it. The straightest one I found was from a 78 parts car. Yeah that will be going on a black car! I checked from 76-79 and called to confirm this same thing with an 80 owner too. Not only are passenger fenders weird, but doors too.

This is probably something I'm just re-remembering. I've Always hated trying to line up passenger side panels on these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160919_181028.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

White Aspen R/T (10-02-2016)

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's probably because they were made on a Friday or Monday.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Never noticed if mine are different. Hard to tell, my pass door was crunched at some point in the cars first 7 years of life and repaired before I bought it.

I do know one of the rockers was 1/4" shorter than the other (forget which). Not bent, never repaired, just shorter from day one. One of the many things taken care of during the build. There's quite a few hours reshaping door and fender edges to get even gaps top to bottom. Late '70's quality control,,,,,,,,,wasn't. Hate to say it but it's true. Not just Mopar but all car makes.

Suppose it doesn't help that my car was wrecked (rf cowl section was replaced, door repaired, had a replacement rf fender and part of the lr corner of the car is sectioned in from a donor car) before I got it and again in 1989 when I had a brake hose failure causing the fan and radiator to occupy the same space at the same time,,,,,,,,,,if you get my drift. Add in a couple years of 440 before I put in subframe connectors and nothing lined up anymore.

Now I have to go out and eyeball my doors
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-02-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LOL!

It wasn't just our era. Production tolerances were always very sloppy and older cars are often much, Much worse. They just made a big deal of it in the late 70's because the companies were going to cheaper, thinner steel and it's always easiest to blame the workers and the union for what flows downhill. As an autoworker I can assure you that game goes on yet today. Except today we workers have more control to make sure production never supercedes quality. It wasn't always so. Workers gave up on what they couldn't change for a while until it had to change and people took charge and personal ownership of quality. The problems with old cars are typical to all. I tell everybody who seems intimidated by taking on heavy reconstruction that they have started with a mess that was built to be a mess and they can only make it better. The initial chassis jigs from which whole cars are built clearly had over 1/4" slop in them. So too were the panel tolerances. It's not uncommon to find cars at each end with 1/2" gaps full of seam sealer. How do you make anything worse than that?
    Volare Magnet