Thread: 727 trans shifting

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks

727 trans shifting

can anyone tell me the aprox. speed for a 727/318 to shift from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to drive with normal acceleration. also the org tires for my rr were 215/70-14 i now have 225/60-14 on car when i bought it. my speedo seems to be off 5 to 10 mph? thanks

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There are many variables for shift speeds but:
    Closed Throttle 1-2 is 9-11mph
    Closed Throttle 2-3 is 13-15 mph

I assume the "detent" position means the throttle pressed to the kickdown detent which you can feel in the pedal, when it has to be pressed harder.

Detent 1-2 is 23-30 mph
    Detent 2-3 is 46-66 mph

All figures from the service manual.

The 60 series tire is approx 1" smaller diameter than the 70 series was. Your speedo will show faster than actual speed which isn't actually a BAD thing Depending on the error percentage, a speedo pinion (drive) gear with 1 or 2 more teeth would get you to within allowable tolerance.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There are tire/speedometer calculators out on the internet. Just google it.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks guys by detent i assume you mean normal access? mine shifts @ 30 to 35 & again @ around 55 so if the tires are making speed show faster this would be about rt.?? on a rolling clock of car behind me showes i,m going about 5 mph on slower speeds & around 10 mph faster on my speed @ 50 7 above. so it sounds like i,m shifting good??? it just sounds like it really winding out on 2nd to third shift.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    By "detent" I assume the service information means pressing the throttle to the point where you hit the "kickdown" point. The point where the pedal gets a little harder to press, usually about 3/4 throttle or so. You can feel it in the pedal.

The shift points are variable and depend on many things such as engine power, vehicle weight, and the throttle valve (kickdown) linkage (or cable) adjustment. There are also different transmission governors for higher or lower shift points and also the transmission line pressure adjustment. A higher adjustment pressure also makes for higher shift speeds.

What is "normal accel" is subjective, lol.

With your estimated speedometer error,,,,,,,,I'd say your shift points are fine. Without a tach, it's hard to tell. What sounds like the engine really winding out, might not really be all that high rpm's.

Hope I've helped more than confused
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Make sure that at wide open throttle that the shift lever on the transmission is all the way back towards the rear of the car.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks guys i,ll check

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    found that adjuster link & carb rod & spring is missing. carb rod is piece that adj. link attaches too & it attaches to trans. kick down. any idea where i mite find these pieces? thanks