Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub Frame Connectors question?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member KCFAN58's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Sub Frame Connectors question?

I wanted to check is anyone has used the sub-frame connectors from www.autorust.com?

It says it is used with there torque boxes, what I am wondering is if it must be used with them, or if they can be installed with out the torque box's?

Thanks,

Mike
    Mopar or No car!

Aspen and Volare Member Badvert65's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know why it would have to use torque boxes. I have seen their B body frame connectors and they can be used without torque boxes.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    You can use them with or without.

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! That is what I thought, just wanted to make sure my thinking was ok!
    Mopar or No car!

Aspen and Volare Member symbasys's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I got under my car for the first time today, only to discover the front subframe rails are rusted out. Has anyone used those repair kits from autorust.com? I don't have the ability to weld them in myself, so I would have to find someone willing to do it... which brings up the question: Is it even worth it? I have no clue how much it would cost to have that work done, or even where to take it. Around here, most body shops don't want anything to do with rust repair. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should try to get it repaired or just cut bait and part out the car. Any advice???

United States
    Thanks
    That is a very common problem on those cars. Especially 76-77. I surprised that the front floors are good as usually both rust. You can get good used rails from Jim if he ever comes back to post here. The caps would work if the rails aren`t too bad. If the rails are repairable as far as just welding in a new piece or two then that would be what I would do. As i said, it depends on how bad they are. Do you have any pics?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 11-04-2016 at 09:35 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    No pics at the moment. I was able to put my fingers through the frame rail on the right side. The left is in about the same shape. I had the rear of the car jacked up to check out a leaky brake line when I saw the frame rails. I'm not sure if I should jack the front of the car up or not... I'm leery about putting the floor jack under the front crossmember and putting stress on the frame.

This is a Florida car that spent most of its life across the street from the Atlantic ocean, so the salt air did a number on it. Lots of rust scale underneath. No holes in the floor that I could immediately see.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by symbasys View Post
    No pics at the moment. I was able to put my fingers through the frame rail on the right side. The left is in about the same shape. I had the rear of the car jacked up to check out a leaky brake line when I saw the frame rails. I'm not sure if I should jack the front of the car up or not... I'm leery about putting the floor jack under the front crossmember and putting stress on the frame.

This is a Florida car that spent most of its life across the street from the Atlantic ocean, so the salt air did a number on it. Lots of rust scale underneath. No holes in the floor that I could immediately see.
    I have the drivers side front frame rail cap coming in and these sub frame connectors. The exhaust shop is welding both in for me.
    My drivers side front frame rail is not as bad as yours, it has two holes on the inside of the frame, the outside is solid and I rust sealed the inside of the frame. It has not progressed since I rust sealed everything and even the edge of the holes are not soft, but I figured while the other work is being done I might as well have that capped to make it stronger. I will report on how it goes with the install.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mopar or No car!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KCFAN58 For This Useful Post:

symbasys (11-05-2016)

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KCFAN58 View Post
    I have the drivers side front frame rail cap coming in and these sub frame connectors. The exhaust shop is welding both in for me.
    My drivers side front frame rail is not as bad as yours, it has two holes on the inside of the frame, the outside is solid and I rust sealed the inside of the frame. It has not progressed since I rust sealed everything and even the edge of the holes are not soft, but I figured while the other work is being done I might as well have that capped to make it stronger. I will report on how it goes with the install.

Thanks,

Mike
    I'd be interested in finding out how much the muffler shop is going to charge you to do the welding. I got one quote so far for $525.00, which seems pretty steep to me.

United States
    Thanks
    The shop is charging me $175 for the welding of the frame cap and the sub frame connectors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KCFAN58 For This Useful Post:

symbasys (11-05-2016)