Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    aspen79......mine will be at my house late Tuesday so I will try and remember to post what they look like and condition. I saw the amount left was zero but the link was supposed to lead you to the seller that you stated you could not find.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    Good deal. I never knew anyone made them new. That is a breath of fresh air. Good to know someone realizes there is a need for quality new parts.
    Well, that's certainly debatable these days. I've come to the realization that my technical skills aren't always the best but that there are plenty of local shops with people who rebuild items to a higher standard than the "new" junk I can purchase today. The quality of new parts is a constant complaint in several texting groups I'm included in. Everything from starters to wiper motors. If it's not old stock it's questionable stock.

The most horrific example I know was last year when a friend was delivering a car from New Jersey to Detroit. Good car, ran fine, was all over locally road testing before the trip. Brand new NAPA starter before the trip. Just in case, ya know? First refuel, no start. Call AAA. Parking lot replacement and on the road again, until the next refuel. No start again. AAA almost to the 100 mile limit to reach another NAPA in the PA mountains along I-80. Rinse and repeat and on the road again. Makes it half way across Ohio, and you got it! Dead a 3rd time! At that point 100 AAA miles took him the rest of the way to deliver the car on the flat bed. New owner had the "Brand New" starter rebuilt locally and it's performed flawlessly since. Just disgusting though. A ten hour trip turned into two days because of the typical quality of today's parts for old cars.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem with things like calipers is, after they've been remanufactured who knows how many times, parts of the casting get beyond use. When they've been bead blasted a few times, the sealing rings for the copper washers are gone for one. I had a heck of a time getting the ones one the car now to seal. In fact, it appears the right one seeped a little. Then there's the cylinder bores. They can only be refinished so many times before they're too big and the pistons can rock. At work we've sent back calipers occasionally. Usually for an older vehicle like (for example) a '98 F250 SD. Open the box, look at the caliper and say "seriously?". The casting was half gone from rust and the area around the bleeder looked more like a termite mound. It was time to retire that one to the scrap heap. With all parts, they come to a point that rebuilding isn't possible anymore.

I hear you on the starter and alternator thing. WAY too many times they either were bad right out of the box or failed shortly after. The "inspection sheet" shows it passed all tests yet, it doesn't work once installed. Worst part is, if it's bad out of the box, you start to doubt your and doubt yourself, and start from scratch but come up with the same results. Replace it AGAIN and all is well. As you know, on some vehicles you don't just "toss an alternator on" or "throw a starter in". Those are the ones the estimating guide shows "R&R alternator: 4.9hrs" Guess which ones are more likely to be bad? Not the Silverado where changing the alternator takes all of about 10 minutes, noooooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,it's the one where you have to tear half the vehicle apart to get at the bleeping thing. LOL, sounds like a subject for the rant and rave thread.

Anyways,,,,,looking forward to seeing what shows up and I hope it's what I'm expecting.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:52 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Matt, I agree with you on some parts like you mentioned. I did say quality parts though not some of the junk from China. As far as the calipers I think the need for them was great as NOS ones have dried up and rebuilt castings i have seen have been in poor shape from all the years of abuse and blasting. Now if you have your own inventory of used ones that you can rebuild then that would serve you well for a long time but not all of us have a stash of parts on that stuff. I would have to say the new mini starters that I bought have served me well. Now rebuilt stuff I usually stay away from especially alternators, starters and water pumps. The quality problem with rebuilt stuff has plagued us for many years and as i learned many years ago the difference between rebuilt and reman. Now it seems that places like Autozone etc will give you a lifetime warranty on parts but the crap won`t last a year. The old way of thinking was if someone offered a lifetime warranty that their product was a quality piece, not anymore. Also some of the lifetime stuff is really only a one time replacement on that part after that you are SOL.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:53 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I currently have two bad water pumps and each were "New" three years ago. Not reman. Just garbage! And what's up with the price difference on the Police water pumps? Are you kidding me? Now it's nothing but a $50 different impeller that isn't the same as the one that used to be in them. I'm thinking somebody figured out the impeller for some other very common application worked in the SBM housing and they just jack the price up to use it.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Reminds me of Tommy Boy. "I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I've got time, but all you'd have is a guaranteed piece of crap." So true...........
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

CPP Brake Calipers

Received the calipers this evening. Took everything out of the box and they look pretty good.......not 100% smooth or perfect but good enough. Everything came that was pictured on E bay.
    As promised a picture is worth 1000 words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191106_194457.jpg  
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopars1 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (1 Week Ago)

United States
    Thanks
    thanks for posting

United States
    Thanks
    I don't see any anti squeal pads. I couldn't remember if our cars never had them. There weren't any in the box when I had it apart this year. But our left rotor is singing occasionally. I replaced it and the bearings and the new one sings too. I don't know what's going on...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I don`t remember any anti squeal pads. I have used the mopar disc brake quiet.