Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687

Thread: Aspen off season projects

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Can't remember how you described the dash noise. Wonder if maybe the double sided adhesive tape came loose on the little white wiring clip by the glovebox? That would just sit and chatter on the wire vibrating on the back side of dash.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That was one of my first thoughts about the buzzing/rattle. Those adhesive clips aren't the most reliable things ever made. The noise does sound exactly like a wiring connector or something vibrating against the plastic dash panel.

My hand and wrist hurt like a b**** if I put any amount of pressure on them, twist my wrist, pull to hard on a wrench, or try to grip something tight but, you adapt to what you've got, right?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That clip should be right over by the map light and being white, easily identified visually looking up under dash. If it's loose you could probably coat hanger fish it over to the hole and clip it off without messing with the dash at all.

Doc prescribed me BadA** braces in the day for carpel tunnel. Go all the way to the base of fingers and half way up my forearms. Worked over a finger splint you can completely immobilize your lower arm and eliminate the pain. Worked real good when I later broke my thumb, a finger, and sprained my wrist.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Under the dash is so packed full of HVAC and wiring, there's no way to even really stick a borescope in to have a look (I tried). I mean, it's full from firewall to dash trim panel, just right of the gas pedal to right cowl panel. IIRC, there's 3 or 4 of those white adhesive clips under there. Guess I'll find out if my memory is correct or not. This kind of work was easier when the Aspen had the garage all to itself, lol. I always parked it at an angle so there was wide open access from all sides. Now it's where the pass door JUST clears the wall and the drivers door JUST clears the Mustang (and vice versa) when fully open. It's like they say, the garage can never be big enough! Mine is 24w by 30 deep. Plenty of length but, another few feet of width would be awesome.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not so sure of that. The HVAC box is bigger. Sorry I forgot you were working with a former AC car. Jeez, how many details can a guy forget before he gets beaten with a stick around here? But anyhow,,,

Yeah, it's going to be tight with that big AC box, but you should still be able to look thru the map light hole and see Everything, even if you have to remove a map light.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the A/C plenum pretty much fills the under dash space up. Right now (well, right now when I get back out there), fighting with trying to line up the right side vent duct up with the outlet on the plenum. It's about an inch or more too low. Would explain why the vents seemed to be weak on air flow. I doubt the outlet is warped, and the ducts seem to be good also. I'll figure something out. Surprise, all the plastic stick on clips are still stuck on. Ended up wrapping foam tape around any wire, cable or tube that could contact something and rattle, then securely fastened them all together, where possible. You mentioned the map light but what I suspect was making the noise is the glove box light. It sticks in the hole and if I move the harness or tap on the trim panel, it rattles like a son of a gun, with the glove box door closed. So, I glued a foam piece to the side of the box so when the light is snapped in, the foam puts side pressure on the assembly and,,,,,,,no rattle. Just like the "door" rattle, I'll find out if I was successful in a few months. Kind of sucks doing work like this in winter. Can't do a post repair road test.

Yes, I have a couple photo's to prove I did all this! lol Upload later.

Before putting the dash pad back on, I want to do something with what at one time was clean and black along the base of the windshield. You can see it through the gap between the pad and glass, and it looks like crap. It's one of those things I was going to do before putting the interior back in a few years ago, but for some reason, didn't end up doing at the time. What I wish is, the front and rear glass had the black border like newer cars, to hide the ugly pinch welds and the edge of the trim pieces, etc.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Photo's to go with above post. Oh yeah, also going to make a metal strap to attach the trim panel to the broken off tab on the far right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00668.jpg   DSC00663.jpg   DSC00664.jpg   DSC00665.jpg   DSC00667.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 10 Hours Ago at 06:59 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!