Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

United States
    Thanks
    have so much stuff I really don't know where to begin
    That is kinda where I am at. I feel like everything I touch is good enough to use on something or I wouldn`t have saved it. That`s why I haven`t tossed it over the years but it has to go.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:22 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mess doesn't even begin to describe my 2020 garage. 40x60 divided into 4 rooms. Two make 12x40 and have been a passable mess for years.

Next 24x40 is supposed to be my work area and there is simply no work going to be done there until I deal with everything I just piled up since June-ish. I brought a car in to work on 2 weeks ago, and it currently has stuff piled on all 3 top surfaces. To make a box for some parts a guy in Detroit needed last Tuesday I had to do it on the hood and just never felt the urge to go clean that up even.

The last 24x40 I can't even walk into right now. Because despite all the cleaning and organizing I did over there which took a few weeks, I then piled everything in from 3 cars I cut up for parts this year in addition to what was there but organized.

On the bright side, I did get rid of three junky cars and only saved what was good from them. On the down side, I haven't put all that extra good stuff in it's proper places. Some of those places I simply can't reach until I clean up part of the first room. Then on the really down side, in the middle of this I traded a fairly decent car for another not so decent car I liked even better, and found out I didn't keep enough of the good stuff from the first two I cut up. Some things don't have that common of need and they take up too much space, so throw them away. Right? Wrong. But only if it was possible that could go wrong. If I hadn't traded I wouldn't have a need. Except that now I do. So of course that got me all discombobulated on throwing things away again since I had Just been in possession of exactly what I needed to fix the next one, and already thrown it off the tailgate at the scrap yard mere weeks before. Oh, not just that but then I get a call from a guy who also needed exactly what I'd just discovered myself to need. So the 3rd car to come in and get cut up still didn't provide what I needed, although that was the entire point of bringing it around to unbolt and drill apart. Meaning at some point still in the future, after I clean up my current mess, I need to drag a 4th junk car inside that also has that usually useless bit of metal and cut it up so I can work on the car I traded for over six months ago and is still just sitting around with nothing getting done on it. Oh, and that also means I get to go all through the complete cycle of removing and storing all the good bits until somebody needs those all over again in getting them out of my way so I can actually get anything else done.

...all in order to get what nobody wants, usually, because right about now I actually do need that.

So it seems that the more you have, the more daunting a task you can make of keeping it organized. But you're still going to figure out that you just threw away the exact thing you needed no matter what. And if you're really lucky somebody else will also be looking for what you just threw away right about the same time you're figuring out where you can get it. So if you're looking to buy, the price may go up or you may be too late as they already bought the one available. Or if you have it you have to decide between money now while your own project waits for you to have more, or keeping it and not helping another in need.

So if you've read this far into My 2020 Story and are asking yourself WTH?, now you know why I've kinda thrown my hands in the air, and thrown stuff all over my garage in a giant frustrated mess.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    So, everyone has a mess they can't deal with and Matt's is the biggest!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Pretty much! LOL

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought size doesn't matter, lol!

The toughest part of doing a clean up is,,,,,,,,,,,deciding where to start. I went out to start, sat and looked around at it all for 1/2 an hour and got absolutely nowhere. Maybe have some lunch and try again? It'd be easier to do without the cars in the way but they aren't going anywhere, especially today when it's raining/snowing out off and on.

Just a couple examples of what I'm up against. Yes I know, I have nobody to blame but myself.

Lots of stuff that should have been tossed long ago, such as my broken MIG welder, the POS (and that's being nice) repop fender for my Dakota, etc...................

Maybe posting pics for all to see will make me get my butt in gear and go at it. That's the plan anyways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488.jpg   DSC00487.jpg   DSC00486.jpg   DSC00485.jpg   DSC00484.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh how I wish my garage was that clean. I'd just sit there with my coffee and play on my phone while listening to the radio. LOL!

Na, I'd realize I only had a day of work to make it nice and get busy playing with things instead of putting them away, so it took all weekend and I enjoyed it.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My garage looks way more cramped than yours does. I wish mine was that easy to move around in.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    I actually did get a start on it. Figured best place to begin is with the shelves and go through all the stuff on them. Why oh why did i save things like broken '78Aspen t-light housings, a broken NOS door latch (that kind of sucked), corroded, pitted and broken Rallye wheel centers, the old Aspen radiator cap, broken side marker lights, etc................All that and more are now in a box marked "scrap". No, I am not going to toss anything that's good or useable, even though I will 99% never use it myself. Suddenly, the top shelf on one shelf unit only has half of what it did. Many more shelves to go and then what's in boxes on the floor, the workbenches, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it never ends! HELP! Next is to figure, what to keep, what to sell/give away, what to sh*t can, what to move to the attic. Dangit, that reminds me I need to do the same thing up in the attic. There are things up there I'm sure I've forgotten about and don't realize I have them. Only problem is, the attic is above the house garage and utility room, up a pull down stairs and naturally, it's unheated space. This whole clean up deal could take a while.

One corner of the attic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0005.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I started cleaning/organizing mine a short time ago. I just concentrated on a small area, like a workbench. After that was done moved on to the tool box, etc. Yeah I came across broken or damaged stuff wondering too why I kept it. A spare hood that has nose damage has been sitting around for a couple years. I stripped it and put it out in the alley. It was gone in a few hours. Now if I only could get my kids mini fridge and a tube tv out of there....

United States
    Thanks
    That's my plan exactly. Do one area at a time, like one of the benches, or do one shelf at a time, then move to the next one, etc.. Otherwise a person gets so overwhelmed with it all, nothing gets done. I also am doing inventory, writing down what's there is, and where it is and what it's for. At least then, in theory, if I am looking for an item, I can get the notebook out and find out where the bleep I put it! lol