Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77superpak View Post
    I started cleaning/organizing mine a short time ago. I just concentrated on a small area, like a workbench. After that was done moved on to the tool box, etc. Yeah I came across broken or damaged stuff wondering too why I kept it. A spare hood that has nose damage has been sitting around for a couple years. I stripped it and put it out in the alley. It was gone in a few hours. Now if I only could get my kids mini fridge and a tube tv out of there....
    TOTALLY ENVIOUS!

Yeah, I already have my workbench in order, but what about this, and that, and the next flat surface? Or the floor, even tucked underneath cars on jackstands? I'm just going to clean this one little spot. Oh wait, where will I put this crap? Oh, well I'll clean this spot where they belong. But WAIT! Where does the stuff currently occupying that space belong? Oh yeah. Here, there, over there, up there, behind that, in the next room, in the other room, upstairs, upstairs in the back room, or Worse upstairs in the Front room! Well, let's just get to cleaning one of those again. alrighty then. Now we've moved a grand total of 297 items for the day so we could put the original 3 away....

You know what would fix this? A Bonfire! A great big wood and plastic fueled Bonfire!

Guna lose my mind yet this year...
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That is my biggest problem no matter where I look, the garage, the basement, the attic. I try and see what I can move and put in a spot where I can make my decision of what to do with it and basically try and make two piles, keep and throw away. I can't seem to find the room to even get started. Very frustrating. I have cleaned off my transmission rebuild work bench numerous times and it seems when I have one to do I have absolutely no space to even put the trans on a bench.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    My big problem is that when I'm being productive I get moving so fast that I just need things out of my way. They get put in the next closest available spot for later clean-up and organizing. These items do have specific locations they belong. Those locations have items stacked in front of them because I needed them out of my way, but not where they belong because they aren't listed in inventory yet. Which turns the whole thing into one giant shuffle eventually where I have to write it all down before putting it away. Otherwise it's just an organized mess no matter how well I've stored it away. 3 cars later it seems an overwhelming task. Especially since everything else that had nothing to do with that just got piled in the way over the summer too.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    One problem I have is owning a house without a basement so,,,,,,,,,,some things that would normally go in a basement are in the garage. Stuff that can't freeze for example, so it can't go in the shed or attic. So I end up with that stuff, plus the car parts, plus the tools and equipment, plus the cars and I soon run out of real estate. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! Haven't gotten very far yet BUT, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and plan to HOPEFULLY make a dent then.

After that's done, then the real work can begin on the cars.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I made sacrifices and put a 2nd story in part of my garage that was never designed for it. It's actually been a bunch of fun building open span cross trusses as bridge work that allows me to use the roof trusses that were not designed to be loaded in the areas that I couldn't lower the ceiling as well. But since I don't have 24/7 heat for the shop, it always means my winter work is somewhat limited to what heat I can build according to the outside temps and also that all my liquid supplies must be put in the basement each winter. But I have built plenty of cabinets and shelves for them and just run the mower cart loads outside in spring and inside in fall.

I actually worked out there for several hours today! I cleaned up SO MUCH MESS! Tools and equipment put away. Crapola tossed or burnt, since I also recently had to fix my wood burner as usual every few years. But of course you could walk in there and look around in the little passable aisleways and not even know I'd been out there in years. Doesn't look like I did much at all even tho I never did stop for more than as long as it took to shoot another reply to the texting groups of others getting stuff done or screwing off enjoying their fire pits or something. It's always something. LOL!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I'm sort of restricted on buildings here. Any detached building, such as my shop, can't be taller than the lowest roof ridge on the house. It's as tall as allowed when the garage was built. Of course now, the lowest ridge on the house is higher than back in 1998 but it's still not allow much of an attic space above the shop. Besides, I'm not prepared to tear the roof and roof trusses off the garage and build it higher with attic trusses. I could go from a 4/12 pitch to 8/12 and stay within code. Moot point, not going to happen anytime soon.

My PLAN, and you know how that works sometimes, is to spend a good amount of time out there and make a bigger dent in the cleaning/organizing than I've made so far. It's more like I made a door ding in the mess, not a dent, lol. Doesn't help either that getting old(er) SUCKS, and ambition simply isn't what it was 20 years ago. Well, the ambition is there, the body is the real boss though.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I've actually made some progress. Got one bench cleaned up, the floor vacuumed in the area and about a million cobwebs vacuumed of the walls, ceiling and under the bench. Only 82 billion more to go in the rest of the garage, lol. Now I know why I never see any bugs in there, I've got spiders eating them all. Funny though, I've only seen a spider out there maybe 3 or 4 times but it's obvious they are present. Crafty little suckers staying hidden like that.

I'm going to see what material I have on hand and/or go to Menard's and get some material, and put up some more shelves. That would help a lot, having more places to put the stuff that has to be in there, other than on the benches or floor.

United States
    Thanks
    Wall cabinets and shelves above workbenches are just smart use of space. If it weren't for high ceilings and cabinet doors, I wouldn't even be able to decorate anything. Every wall is covered with shelving and cabinets to 7ft. Only the rest above that high shelf is available to put any shop art. That really wasted all my effort in making the lower walls Mopar Blue and white uppers to help with lighting, with a black tribal design scrolling across the divide. It was fun doing it though and some day somebody will see it again when I'm gone. LOL! I mean, even below the cabinets I have the walls at the backs of the benches lined with stacked divided storage drawer units, and stacks of cashew jars labelled for what kind of F-body fasteners or small parts they're full of. You'll get it all the way you want it eventually.

Oh hey, I forgot to mention that I really like those 79 Cordoba wheel covers you showed in your attic! Those are truly the best wheel cover ever put on a Chrysler I think. Just so classy and deep. Like 58 Cadillac deep! There's a set in the back seat of the '79 Doba in my local 'yard that I bet were Perfect when that car came in decades ago. But they've turned green from moisture now and it's kinda eaten the chrome to where I know they couldn't polish up again. What are those little almost Sport Fury hood vent looking tin pieces nearby them? Next to the dealer add on dash speaker grilles? Unless those are Cordoba dash speaker grilles. Can't tell but seen lots of each. Never understood why they used those fitted metal grilles to add speakers to the front of an F instead of just ordering the correct dash steel for dual speakers. Anyhow, those vent opening things look interesting but I can't place them in my memory.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I always liked the wheel covers on my Cordoba. No idea why I kept them, the car was gone in 1996 when it went to that great parking lot in the sky. Those speaker grille's are for a Barracuda, along with part of a rear defogger (the motor and hose). There's probably a few other E-body pieces stashed up there but I really don't remember. Well, there is an E-body rear sway bar I guess. I THINK the hood vent looking pieces are for a Roadrunner (maybe '69 or '70?)/ I really need to get my butt up there and do an inventory. Somewhere is a set of small window F-body 1/4 trim panels, at least 3 RV-2 compressors, a couple old alternators, starters, spare chrome wheel for my Dakota,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on and on and on.

You hit it on the head. The biggest problem, or lack, my garage has is storage. Shelves, cabinets, etc. I have the tools to build cabinets (table saw, miter saw, router, pocket screw jig and more). I just have to get my ass in gear and build them. It's been 22 years since the garage was built and a couple months of work to wire, insulate and sheetrock the walls. I have yet to sheetrock the ceiling (it's R50 fiberglass with 1/2" foil faced rigid insulation under that) and the glaring omission is I never got around to is painting. It got to a certain spot and then I started in on the Aspen project in in the winter of 2001/2002, while at the same time still continuing to basically overhaul the entire house top to bottom, indie and outside. Never buy an OLD house (1946 tract house) and especially never buy an old house that's a "fixer upper". Unfortunately, there's always way more I need to do around here and not near enough time to do it all. Maybe by the time I die? lol
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 06:43 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    So that's an E-body deffoger? Hmm. I got one that was plumbed into the driver side rear speaker hole in that 79 R/T I cut up last spring. I had no idea what it was. Just that it didn't belong where I found it. Stil racking my brain on those vent looking things. They really look cool but another item I don't know what it should fit. Wouldn't be Roadrunner. Those Road Wheels wouldn't be the 7" for the 80-81 M-body would they? I really want to find a set of those some day. I got the skinny 6" versions from Kevin 25Fbodies years ago. I've half thought about cutting the centers out and just sticking them in some 8" hoops. But the tires still hold air so they just continue to be the winter wheels for our Doba. If I made them 8" though, they could become the Summer wheels! But then I'd have to find another junk set of tires that would hold air for winter. It's always something isn't it? LOL!

At least you got the important thing done in insulating your garage! I don't even have any insulation in parts of mine and the heat escapes just about as fast as I can make it. I am a master of repurposing though you may read that as being cheap! It may have been back before the crash when I showed my making wall cabinets from metal floor cabinets I'd find along the road. Cut em in half after adding hinges on either side of the center where I cut them. Then I just put them on scrap steel or wood bases together with one upside down but as pairs. Hang another pair on the wall til the walls were covered over every bench. The only two I have that are for real cabinets are the pair of green NAPA Sandpaper cabinets my dad got some time in the late 70's. They were really handy when sand paper wasn't a fortune and you could stick the reams of sheets all in those skinny shelves that held their edges from curling. These days, OMG. It's still just sandpaper. Why does it have to cost so much? And why is one well known brand a different grit from another in the same number? I've got 800 that feels like 600, and 400 that feels like 800. But I got a really great $20 deal this summer on a 3ft tall rack of paper at an estate sale. So at least I won't go Broke on sandpaper for a while. Anyhow this is turning to a ramble instead of a rattle, so I'll just call it a day in adding that I'm looking forward to hanging out in your garage more as you continue to personalize your workspace.
    Volare Magnet