Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    It`s not that I don`t like other makes and models, I do. It is just the politics of it all. I just go to have a good time now. I`m not worried about winning since I caught on to the games that are played. Some shows are run fairly but most not so much. One year my very nice Charger I owned at the time lost out to a rusty GM station wagon. BTW, My best friend has a Corvette and he mentioned to me how you have to be in the click to win. One show I was at last year I heard the guy next to me asking the person running the show that he would take the people`s choice ballets and hand them out for them. The person running the show declined. It just makes me think is a trophy even worth getting if you have to cheat for it.
    Well Michael I feel for you. Most of the shows around me seem to be well run. It sucks you have that kind of situation.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the concern but no worries. Like I said I just go to have a good time. At first it bothered me but doing stuff that I enjoy is all that really matters.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha seems that same clique is everywhere. Probably a good part of why so few younger people, meaning under 65, go to the shows. Give some local club $10 to get in and watch them pass plaques among each other or even go skew the voting at somebody else's show. Mopar people in general seem to have little time for that game. We've got Hemi cars around here, six packs, Superbirds, T/A's, all manner of rare Mopars. But you never see them at any show where there's any judging at all. Because it seems you have to be a member or prospect to even win some cheesy door prize. The whole of car show politics is against the very idea of enjoyment for all. Not trying to speak for anybody else but it's all good with me because if I needed others approval I'd be driving a brand X F-body instead of Mopar's. Always known and enjoyed being outside the mainstream. Running around in these cars for over 30yrs has been the real enjoyment. Not parking them somewhere. Unless I'm parking a ratty one right on the main square next to the prettiest car that got left there the night before to get that spot. Lol! I may be middle aged and ornery but the only thing that's ever changed is my age. ,)
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Man you guys have it bad! Around here we get families and people of all ages to cruises and shows. I was at a cruise last Saturday evening, and this is a three hour cruise, not a show, there were at least 60-70 cars there and people of all ages. The cruise was held on the town courthouse square and a lot of people came to look as they didn't have vehicles on display. Kids from 1 to 90 were there.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Around here it is car clubs trading trophies with each other; it is so blatant it is laughable. In a large show it is not unusual to see all awards go to one group sitting together. Hmmmm.......

What I do is go to shows for non award shows, Wounded Warriors events, children's charities or other worthy causes. At the end of the day I love going to shows to see nice cars, eat food I shouldn't and enjoy speaking with other like minded enthusiast.

Unlike Ohio - the shows in Michigan were AWESOME!

Aspen and Volare Senior Member DCAspen's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Matt,kinda like the F-Body 1st place winner at Carlisle last year.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I entered mine at a show here a couple years ago. They wouldn't even put a number on it. But I had fun walking around. I don't remember any of the prize cars except the S/N 0001 ferrari from across town. It was pretty run down, but I don't mind letting him have a trophy. The rest of the winners can be proud of their forgettable cars.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The retirement aged crowd around here is pretty big. Even our town's Tuesday night show will get 70-120 if there's no hint of rain. But it's retirement age people setting in groups together on their lawn chairs in the shade on the town square. We'll go and walk around to see the cars without registering for door prizes before leaving. Sometimes a Mustang or Corvette club will come bring new things to see. Or whatever group we may notice of cars we've seen while visiting other towns maybe an hour away. The local businesses say the weekly show is a big boost for them, and we enjoy cruising to see and shop the little stores of other towns too. We just aren't the types to sit still on a town square yet. So I just don't bother myself to get involved in the politics of any of it. The same handful who's cars haven't changed in 20yrs are welcome to pick who's best just among themselves, and stack another plaque on the table after running out of wall space and it doesn't effect me at all. It's not likely we'll hang around all day or night for awards tainted by politics anyhow. But it's a nice excuse to go see another place. Slow down and walk around their town. And if they're giving out dash plaques or t-shirts, we'll make a point of finding that registration table. That's a good memory to take away. So an "off season project" for me is thinking about what is interesting about towns we haven't seen yet, and trying to figure if we can make their event in the coming year.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The main core of the group I go with is made up of people that used to drag race together back in the late 60's and early 70's. We had a club called the "Edwardsville Racing Association" and had shirts made to show we were a group. Those times were a lot of fun and we all get along today, even the wifes get along lol!
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what happened to the car thing around here, meaning the metro area. You just don't see "cars" very often. I know they're around because when there is a show, they come out of the woodwork by the hundreds. Back in the heyday, you could find a crap load of cars out cruising but it sort of fizzled out in the past 20 years. I remember cruising and you couldn't see the end of the line of muscle cars, rods, etc. One night there had to be at least 50 cars cruising together. Part of it is, the Slow and Delirious idiots ruined it for everyone. Leaving trash in parking lots, street racing and killing people, doing stupid **** with their cars on the street. Most businesses had no problem with a bunch of people parked in their lot (after closing time) provided you left it the same as when you got there (and the import dick heads screwed that up for everyone) The cops had to crack down. They know who the trouble makers are but have no choice really than to use the same authority on everyone. I suppose the majority of people with "cars" are older now too, which factors into things. We're in our late 40's to 60's or more now, vs 18-25 back then. Another part of it is probably the same reason I don't get more miles on the Aspen,,,,,,,traffic. There's just so darn much of it you don't feel safe driving your pleasure car. I mean, you drive a DD all the time and nothing happens but driving a car like the Aspen you tend to get a little more protective, if you get what I'm saying. Insurance would cover anything that happened but still. Insurance is like a seat belt, you hope you never need it but are glad it's there if you do. Anyways, I just searched around for any possible shows coming up near here and came up blank. That's the other problem. There have been shows that I hear about afterwards where before that I hadn't heard a single peep about a show or seen a single poster at a parts store (or wherever), or anything on-line or elsewhere. How can you go to a show that most people don't know is coming up? Seriously, it's happened more times than I can count.

Anyways, if there is a show that I find out about AND I can go, it'll be a lot nicer ride now. More like driving a car instead of a one-ton truck. Actually, I've driven one-ton trucks that rode smoother than the Aspen did. What's the word? Oh yeah "happy camper".
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-11-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver